CPU not overclocking correctly ?

kingdom9214

Limp Gawd
Idk if its possible for a cpu to overclock incorrectly. My HTPC is running a Q6700 and GTX 580 and I'm getting some really strange result when in game and benchmarking. I'm getting almost the same frame at stock 2.66ghz speed as 3.5ghz Overclock. I checked my setting in the bios again and everything seems right. CPUZ is showing my cpu running at 3.5ghz. Also when I overclock past 3.4ghz my CPU speed no longer shows correctly in my computer properties. It shows 4375mhz and not 3500mhz

On Heaven Bench @ 2.6ghz Avg FPS 50.4 Score 1270 Low 16.2 Max 100.8

Now @ 3.5ghz Avg FPS 51.1 Score 1287 Low 8.4 Max 99

That's a 1.5% gain for a 25% OC. I was just wonder if anyone could help me out and this on cause I'm stumped. I also checked the temps they never go over 70c on the CPU and about 65c on the GPU.

Full Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad q6700 with Coolermaster V8 cooler.
8gb OCZ Gold DDR2 800mhz
Evga 750i SLI MB
Evga GTX 580 1.5gb
Ultra 750watt PSU
1tb Seagate 7200rpm HDD

Did you set your power options to "Performance" in control panel? Also might want to cut off the c-states, etc in the bios to keep it one speed.

yeh make sure the cpu is able to run full speed, for windows 7 is under power options make sure its allowed to run 100%. Sometimes things can report things not properly, even for mine windows does not always report things proper in regards to speeds, cpu multipliers and such may not always register the same similar concept to how many mb is on a harddrive after formatted compare to the actual makers size parameters.

Make sure you are giving it a high enough FSB speed as well as trying to have a very tight FSB:DRAM ratio as this can definitely affect performance.

You really cannot expect miracles in regard to massive performance increases from a clock speed jump, instead of running heaven bench, try doing something that is very cpu biased like encoding tasks or whatever this should def show an advantage if any.

It is a quad core cpu, but it is an older one with slower cache and such so there will be limits on how much OC % turns into a given performance % increase.

Also totally depends on the resolution being run as well, generally 1680x1050 or above does tend to load gpu more heavily and does not require the cpu to process quite in the same fashion, 1440 or below tends to shift the bias towards the cpu by a large margin and could help to really show in a given test what is really happening.

C-states and such as Killer mentioned can and do matter as the cpu will clock down sometimes and this can most certainly skew results.

Back