• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CPU & Motherboard Questions

FrizzleFried

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 7, 2004
Messages
204
OK...so I will soon spring for all that is necessary to go PCIe...I plan on purchasing a CPU, SLI MB and 7800 GT. I have a few questions...

#1 Would I be better served picking up an Opteron 146 that seems to be the rage...most seem to hit 2.9-3.0 ghz with ease...$150-$165 or so... or would the Opteron 165 DUAL core be the wiser choice...it seems to only be hitting 2.6 or so, but its dual core. I DO like the thought of being able to encode DVD's and play games at the same time... are there games out there that support dual core? The 165s are going for around $290 or so...just about double the cost of the 146s...

#2 What is the best BANG FOR THE BUCK overclocking SLI motherboard out right now? I am looking to keep under $120 or so if possible...

Thanks!
 
I guess it really depends on what YOU want. I personaly wouldn't get the dual because it's a tad slower and twice the cost. But than again, if you are going to be doing a lot of multitasking, go for it.
 
it all depends on what goal u want? if you want 2.8 with only a 9x mult be prepared to look for a mobo that can handle at least 311 HTT, where as with 10x mult you only need a mobo that can do 280 HTT.
 
strikeout said:
it all depends on what goal u want? if you want 2.8 with only a 9x mult be prepared to look for a mobo that can handle at least 311 HTT, where as with 10x mult you only need a mobo that can do 280 HTT.

My motherboard...Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe ran prime95 stable @ 344HTT so a 9x doesn't scare me ;).

I am just having trouble deciding an Opteron 14x v. Opteron 165. Is there a discernable difference between overclockability of the 170 v. 165? This PC will have to last me for 2 year. Don't know if dual core is worth the extra money, or the advantages of one over a single core CPU. :confused:
 
I'm looking at that DFI you are but you're kinda hijacking Frizzle's thread ;) .
 
Back
Top