CPU loud

open up the case and give it a listen, see exactly what's too loud. Weird if it's the PSU, IBM's usually use lower watt CPUs and as such don't need as much fanage

since the case is too damn small its hard to be sure, but from what i can tell its coming from the Power supply fan.

CrisCr0ss said:
since the case is too damn small its hard to be sure, but from what i can tell its coming from the Power supply fan.

I'd open up the case and either disconnect or stick your finger in the case fans to check and make sure that whatever part you'll be paying money to replace is indeed the right one.

step #1 in any situation like this. get a can of air, open that bad boy up and clean it. retest. anything after that step will require you to become [H] =)

quadnad said:
I'd open up the case and either disconnect or stick your finger in the case fans to check and make sure that whatever part you'll be paying money to replace is indeed the right one.

or if you dont want to hurt your finger, a pencil/pen will do. that's the easiest was to find out what's being loud, just stop it from spinning.

pcMan said:
or if you dont want to hurt your finger, a pencil/pen will do. that's the easiest was to find out what's being loud, just stop it from spinning.

Yeah, or a big eraser right in the center of the fan does a good job of stopping it without having to jam anything in the blades.

but if its in the psu then its inside the box is it not? by box, i mean power supply case/holder

CrisCr0ss said:
but if its in the psu then its inside the box is it not? by box, i mean power supply case/holder

You could still use a pencil to stop the fan. Or do you think it's one of the components inside (i.e. not a fan)?

It's probably just a defective fan that's on its last breath and thus making that noise. Are you sure you wanna slow down the CPU fan? 63C, that's about to catch on fire...

G'ßöö said:
step #1 in any situation like this. get a can of air, open that bad boy up and clean it. retest. anything after that step will require you to become [H] and never again refer to your computer as a "cpu"
fixt for great justice ;)

I'm no expert, but I'd say the fan spinning at the blazing fast speed of 29 rpm is the culprit.

And by the way, you should get some sort of additional cooling into that box asap as you are reducing the life of your PC with every second it stays at those temps.

After looking at your voltages, I'd say the 2.5v measurement reading 1.47v isn't helping matters. Ooooo, I just figured it out... you system has throttled down to prevent damage because it is overheating. You have a serious cooling issue that needs to be addressed now. If it was me, I'd get a fan into the side of the case right away or shut it down before we see a "my compy won't boot anymore :( " thread on here.

i'm not talking about a PC fan, I mean get a box fan on it quick before you release the magic blue smoke.

sorry to sound stupid but where does on get one? I have never built my own computer and know nothing about cooling

do you have ANY fan? one thats fit for a room? if so, open your case and stick the fan next to it, lol.

blackrino9 said:
i'm not talking about a PC fan, I mean get a box fan on it quick before you release the magic blue smoke.

63C is fine, you have to push a CPU up well over 100C to cause any type of damage. Hell Northwoods are within operating temperature up to 100C. Some people just seem to not know the limits of silicon....

Erasmus354 said:
63C is fine, you have to push a CPU up well over 100C to cause any type of damage. Hell Northwoods are within operating temperature up to 100C. Some people just seem to not know the limits of silicon....

You may have to push it to 100C to cause physical damage, but either way you'll encounter instability long before then.

147.2 F is not that safe of a temp. You can do what you want to your hardware, but It's way hotter than I would allow my CPU to run or recommend anyone should run there hardware at.

and don't forget, these weren't his temps when running a game, it was his cpu temp when idling at his desktop running a temp monitoring program and complaining about fan noises in his system.

quadnad said:
You may have to push it to 100C to cause physical damage, but either way you'll encounter instability long before then.

No you wont, and you have to push it well ABOVE 100C for any damage to occur.

If his CPU is a Northwood which I think it very well may be, they are within operating temperature up to 100C. Meaning they continue to operate just fine up to 100C (and probably exceeding it). I know the spec for the P4 says something like 70 or 75C, but have a look for the P4-m. It is the exact same silicon, the only difference being speedstep is enabled, and its operating temperature goes up to 100C. So if the mobile chip which is the same silicon can do it, so can the desktop chip.

is your computer still under warranty? contact the manufacturer and see if they will fix it for you

i kinda got this computer 3rd party so no manufacter warrenty wtc. Im not to concerned about the heat. My only problem right now is the FAN NOISE. Is there anyway to manually reduce it?

Erasmus354 said:
and you have to push it well ABOVE 100C for any damage to occur.

Well above 212F? :eek:
Shit, I get worried when my 3.4 northwood hits 50C.

tazman4 said:
Well above 212F? :eek:
Shit, I get worried when my 3.4 northwood hits 50C.

Dont be, there has been a lot of FUD spread around lately about processor temperatures which is completely false. The wording in the Intel Spec rates the processors for "optimal operation and long-term reliability of Intel processor-based systems, the system/processor thermal solution should be designed such that the processor remains within the minimum and maximum case temperature (Tc)"

That Tc temperature is actually the IHS temperature and not the temp of the processor. That Tc rating goes up to 75C for Prescott chips (Northwoods are at least that high or higher). So not only does Intel say their chips are fine up to 75C, they say they are good for optimal operation and long term reliability at up to 75C.

Damage to silicon comes long after that, at a minimum 120C.

For the OP, a couple of cheap things you can try are to get some quieter fans, get a rheobus to control the fan speed, and finally to make sure the computer is placed in a location where the hot exhaust is actually escaping. Lots of times if you place the computer under a desk or something the exhaust ends up being drawn back into the case, increasing case temperature and thus processor temperature which in turn increases fan speed and noise.

turned out it was my PSU fan that was spinning to much due to lots of dust in the fan. A little cleaning got it settled out

Back