"CPU is unworkable or has been changed. Please recheck - CPU SOFT MENU

texan1337

n00b
I just constructed my new build with the Abit F-I90hd and intel e4300 chip. The first time I booted up I did not get this error but I got a checksum error that I ignore, and then proceeded to install windows vista. The computer crashed early on into the install and I get the error message in the titel on the boot up screen, and windows freezes everytime I try to install. Any one know what's up?

Simplest thing I can think of off the top of my head would be to reseat the processor and/or clear the CMOS. Hope this helps.

Try this;

- Press Delete key to enter the setup when you boot up the computer.
- Load the optimal settings
- Go to Softmenu and you should see the CPU has been detected correctly

that message is perfectly normal on a new abit or after clearing CMOS until you enter the BIOS & set it up.

As for the crash on installing Vista my guess is that you probably haven't got the RAM set at it's mfr recommended voltage.

:sigh: i went and exchanged both the motherboard and processor for new ones. I'm getting the exact same error that's in the title again. Perhaps I'm breaking the processor when I'm mounting the NT06 heatsink....As for your suggestions regarding the Ram timings I'll have to check into what Patriot suggests. The bios is properly detecting my CPU and everything else btw.

:sigh: i went and exchanged both the motherboard and processor for new ones. I'm getting the exact same error that's in the title again..
well, if it's an abit as I said that's to be expected on a new install.

reset the cmos (jumper) and go into the cou menu in your bios and set the processor up again, 200fsb x whatever multiplier you have. it will work fine after that. most mobos require this. back in the old days there were about 20 jumpers we had to set for specific cpu.

Buff: you are right about the ram timings, but I still haven't solved the problem. I was reading through newegg's reviews for the Patriot 800 mhz 2x1gb extreme Ram I have and a lot of others said that they weren't able to install windows (my problem) until they manually adjusted the ram timings to 4-4-4-12 and the voltage to 2.2. They said that it solved their problem, however, I'm still getting a crash or a BSOD at the beginning of the windows install.

i had these problems when i first build my comp. i went through 1 mobo and 2 packs of ram before i looked on abits website and noticed they dont have patriot ram under whats compatible with the mobo. i bought some corsai xms2 6400c4 and everything has worked perfectly since then.

Back