• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CPU is overheating! intel p4 3.0ghz socket 478

PeeMonkey

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 23, 2004
Messages
72
I Just recently ran a CPU temperature check, and it is running at 68 C. I think my current CPU fan is a crappy thermaltake spark_7.

I have moved into my apartment recently and it is much hotter here, so that probably makes a big difference. I am thinking of getting water cooling because of its silent, which is a big ++++ for me since I live with my GF and she complains when I leave it on overnight. Any suggestions if I should just replace my heatsink or get water cooling,

I am working so the price of water cooling isnt bad for me, just the damn air cooling is loud.

Any suggestions on what type of kit to get would be great, I've been thinking of the Thermaltake Bigwater Kit, any one want to comment on it?
 
Bigwater is great but i would reccommend "WaterChill KT03A-L30 Antarctica CPU Ultra Extreme Cooling Kit - Triple 120mm Radiator/Fan" its really really good and quiet. It well get ure CPU temps down more then the bigwater as it has 3x120mm fans so its still quiet. very quiet!!
 
I'm right there with you man my cpu is always at that temp too and it overheats and turns off.
What I did however instead of buying a big expensive watercooling system, instead I bought a new Zalman CNPS7700-Cu. Its a 120mm fan but I have not recieved it yet so I donno if it works good. I do know it was cheap though at 41.99 bucks :) I'll have to get back to you when I install to let you know what temps I get.


BTW zalmans have been known to be very silent even at their highest RPM.
 
I've got a 3.0 Northwood and it always ran pretty cool but started overheating kind of all of the sudden. Got a Zalman cooler (don't remember the model, but its the half-assed one that's half copper half aluminum that's a bit cheaper), and also dusted and moved IDE cables out of the way of the intake fan and all that made a world of difference. I think I needed a SI-90 or something, its late in the game for a 3.0 and I think I'm ready to start overclocking the hell out of it. :) So the air should be able to do the trick. If its a prescott that'll be a bit hotter than mine on average, if I remember right, but still. Water is very nifty though...
 
PeeMonkey said:
I've been thinking of the Thermaltake Bigwater Kit, any one want to comment on it?

Bigwater is crap, simple as that. Sorry to be blunt but i wanna save you the trouble of wasting your money on one. Read forums about them, they tend to die alot. Also, they use a wacked out tiny diameter tubing which youll never find a waterblock for (cept their crap ones).

For nice high-quality water-cooling, get the Swiftech H20-120 or Corsair Cool(same thing, just different size tubing). If you want alot more grunt, get the H20-APEX by swiftech. All are extremely well made, use high quality parts, are quiet, easy to install, have room for upgrading(cause they use 3/8", 7/16" and 1/2" which are the best/most popular sizes) and the APEX kit is the best kit you can actually buy in terms of performance :)
 
Ok lets see how this turns out. I just got the 120mm Zalman heatsink and lets say I was really suprised how big it was in person. :eek:

for comparsion I told my little 3 year old nephew to hold it up for me


Edit: And just so you know now that I have installed it. It lowered my temps from 65c idle to 45c and i even overclocked it to 3.4 and its still giving me those temps :D. So in other words this was a great buy :).
zalman2.jpg
 
THanks for the replies, hopefully I can decide on a water cooling kit soon, this fan is killing me

anyone kno a good place to search prices for the Swiftech H20-120 or the Corsair Cool kit, ive been able to find only a few places with it, but its priced pretty high
 
You don't need to invest in water cooling to reduce your computer's noise output. A well-thought out air-cooling strategy will work for much less money. You have to think of your case, CPU cooler, GPU cooler, PSU, all that.
 
after much consideration, I think I am just going to get the XP-120 Heatsink now, I am too lazy to put in 2 hours to install water cooling, and I move my computer around too much. Hopefully this new heatsink works awesome..
 
Good man......not to hate on water cooling but it just takes too much time to setup if you aren't that much of a hardcore person.(puts on flame suit)

air coolin for lyfe :cool:
 
yeah, since I decided to stick with aircooling, and the only problem I have with it is the sound, I just got the silent case fans
 
a Thermaltake Big Typhoon is nearley silent. my north bridge chipset fans puts out more DB's that the TTBT does with the stock fan and it cools like a champ.
 
doenst the 120 take some time to install too. I mean, dont u need to remove the mb to get at teh backplate? not sure since I havent installed one but if its anything like my hyper6+, youll be doing some work. well worth the effort though!!
 
i got problems with my s478 3.2E with overheating (around 60's too) then i juss got a new HSF, lapped it and it solved all my problems. i got the Arctic Cooling Freezer 4 and it dropped my temps to 42*C load oc'ed and its SILENT~~
 
well it would probably take time to install, but no doubt faster than watercooling. I have never done watercooling before, so it would take my noobie self forever to install it, i also gave up on watercooling because i cant afford for it to leak and fry my parts even though people say it is pretty safe.

But from what people say, these new heat sinks are awesome, just wish I invested more money into a good heatsink when i built my computer
 
Well I can recommend the zalman alot because I didn't even have to take off the mobo to install the heatsink because it doesn't need a back brace at all. Best of all it uses the stock intel bracket! Not to mention its completely silent even at full RPM. Its as quiet or more quiet than the stock intel hsf. To boot it cools really good.
 
An xp-90 and a quiet 90mm FAN would also be a good choice and its pretty cheap if you look around, Im doing 3.6ghz and it idles 38C and load at 45/47C, depends how hot it is.
 
Ollin said:
Good man......not to hate on water cooling but it just takes too much time to setup if you aren't that much of a hardcore person.(puts on flame suit)

air coolin for lyfe :cool:

You kind of have a good point. I have watercooling which worked out great. I dropped my temps from averaging 45-50C idle (55-60 load) to about 23-26C idle (29-32C load) but I have to check the water every now and then to make sure it's not evaporated lol.

Also, I built a custom setup from Dangerden and used clips I bought from Ace hardware so it was much more of a pain in the ass. I also had to customize my case for the fat ass power cable for the pump too.

The kit might not be that bad but it's still some work, i'd do it, I thought it was well worth it. The only problem I have now is that my pump is kind of loud. I don't mean from pumping water, I mean from vibrating on the case :(.
 
Back
Top