CPU increased temps & voltage with faster RAM

Engr62

Gawd
I previously had 16Gb 2400 MHz RAM running with my i5-8600K, and I was able to run it with a -0.050 V offset in order to keep my CPU temps below 78C when running 100% loads--I've got this system in a very small ITX case (CCD MI-6). I'm using a NH-L12 with only the bottom 92mm fan due to cooler height restrictions.

Today, I upgraded to two sticks of 2x16Gb (32Gb total) of 3000 MHz RAM. When running full load, the system locked up. So, I returned it to no voltage offset, and it is now stable. However, my temperatures went up to a peak of 85C (usually around 80-81C) under full load. Previously, the temperatures peaked at 81-82C when I ran the slower RAM with no offset.

I guess the faster RAM causes the memory controller on the chip to work harder--causing increased temps. Is it also normal for the chip to require more voltage?

yes the memory controller is working a bit harder possibly generating more heat. also, if you enabled XMP it tweaks the cpu a bit, possibly adjusts cpu voltage/speed and it may get hotter. if you did enable XMP you can turn it off and manually enter the RAM settings which will leave the cpu stock.

yes the memory controller is working a bit harder possibly generating more heat. also, if you enabled XMP it tweaks the cpu a bit, possibly adjusts cpu voltage/speed and it may get hotter. if you did enable XMP you can turn it off and manually enter the RAM settings which will leave the cpu stock.

So, if I enter the exact same timings & speed that is on the XMP profile in the user configured memory settings, whatever CPU voltage increase that was getting set when using XMP won't get set automatically?

I tried doing this, and so far, my system seems to be stable at -0.050 V CPU offset again.

Thanks for the help pendragon1. As it turns out, if I enter the RAM timings & clock manually, my motherboard doesn't seem to take the clock setting and downclocks the RAM to 2133 MHz (I set it at 3000 MHz). However, it kept the RAM voltage at 1.35 V. So, I just went back to the default settings for the RAM (2133 MHz, 1.20 V).

My motherboard is not the easiest and straight-forward to use. It's a Supermicro z370 mini-ITX board. And it's just like an server motherboard--a real pain to use. I just wish I hadn't spent the extra cash for 3000 MHz RAM (2x16 Gb). I could have saved more than $50 by getting 2133 or 2400 MHz RAM.

no prob! is the bios up to date? it may add better ram support, or get it stable. if not, crap. could try and get in touch with supermicro.

Back