• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

cpu + hsf lap time!(advise)

HAF72

1337 :)
2FA
Joined
Nov 2, 2006
Messages
7,467
Hello! Well its finally the time where im brave enough to lap my e4300 + stock hsf and since i found out how*tutorial on youtube* :). Anyways I was wondering what is the best brand for sand paper and should i use wet or dry? I plan on using 600, 800, 1000, 1500 *is 2000 necessary?* Any suggestions are very welcomed! Thanks!! Oh yea and if you were wondering, yes i know im going to void the warranty on it(almost over anyways) so :).

Thanks!

 
I wouldn't touch the stock heatsink, intel does a pretty good job of making a flat, smooth base. As for the chip, anything over 600 or 800grit is overkill, and might actually hurt thermal performance depending on the thermal grease you're using. I've found that dry lapping allows the sandpaper to last longer and gives the same result. Basically, the goal of lapping is to get the surface as flat as possible, not to make it shiny. I keep the black plastic cover on the back of the chip and evenly distribute my fingers across the chip to apply even pressure. I usually start at ~320 grit to work it down to the copper, then finish it off with 480 and finally 600. I work in all kinds of patterns (back and forth, figure 8, etc.) to try to evenly sand the chip. Usually once I confirm the surface is flat, I stop. Good luck and take your time, I hope it turns out well :).
 
I wouldn't touch the stock heatsink, intel does a pretty good job of making a flat, smooth base. As for the chip, anything over 600 or 800grit is overkill, and might actually hurt thermal performance depending on the thermal grease you're using. I've found that dry lapping allows the sandpaper to last longer and gives the same result. Basically, the goal of lapping is to get the surface as flat as possible, not to make it shiny. I keep the black plastic cover on the back of the chip and evenly distribute my fingers across the chip to apply even pressure. I usually start at ~320 grit to work it down to the copper, then finish it off with 480 and finally 600. I work in all kinds of patterns (back and forth, figure 8, etc.) to try to evenly sand the chip. Usually once I confirm the surface is flat, I stop. Good luck and take your time, I hope it turns out well :).

Ah gotcha, so you say that i should do 320 -> 480 -> 600? I also heard that figure 8s are bad for the cpu :confused: Im using Artic Silver 5 thermal compound by the way. But i want to get the mirror finish!! :mad: :p is it possible to do that with the 600? Oh also i heard to do it this way, first you do 30 ups and down, then rotate, 30 ups and down till you rotate to where you started, and repeat that for 2 times then move on to the next grit. Oh and i will post pics when im finished with it*doing it this weekend* Thanks!!

Oh would you suggest using nail filers and buffers ? :D*j/k :)this guy did though :eek:

 
I was also curious as to how thick the CPU heat spreader actually is. So, there's copper under there?

I'll be lapping my heatsink/cpu soon as well.
 
I was also curious as to how thick the CPU heat spreader actually is. So, there's copper under there?

I'll be lapping my heatsink/cpu soon as well.

yep if you youtube cpu lapping you can see some example but there is a video with a guy that "lapped his cpu" with nail filers and buffers which you do NOT want to do
 
Some people say that going anything over 800 hurts your temps, but I don't see how, and I have not seen it in my own system, even if it did, I doubt you would be able to tell the change. To me the idea is not having the TIM work good, but rather needed as little as possible. I went to 3000 grit 3M paper yes, it cost more, but it DOES last longer, cheaper paper can lose its "cut" and you can spend hours lapping. After that I used some jewel polishing compound on it.

I use circular motion for lapping, some people will fight to death as to what motion to use, but it does not matter so long as you get a flat base. You don't need a mirror finish such as I get, as the whole point is getting two matching mating points. The heat spreader on the CPU is more than thick enough for lapping, the first time I did it I also worried about it, but mine was pretty bad and took close to 30mins on 400 grit. I also say start with 400, not 600, you will save your self allot of time.

Now, having said all that, the price of good auto grade sand paper is not cheap, I would put the money to the side that you would be spending on the glass, paper and time and put it to an aftermarket HSF and end up getting better results.
 
Ah gotcha, so you say that i should do 320 -> 480 -> 600? I also heard that figure 8s are bad for the cpu :confused: Im using Artic Silver 5 thermal compound by the way. But i want to get the mirror finish!! :mad: :p is it possible to do that with the 600? Oh also i heard to do it this way, first you do 30 ups and down, then rotate, 30 ups and down till you rotate to where you started, and repeat that for 2 times then move on to the next grit. Oh and i will post pics when im finished with it*doing it this weekend* Thanks!!

Oh would you suggest using nail filers and buffers ? :D*j/k :)this guy did though :eek:

To be honest, there really hasn't been much scientific research in this area I don't think :p. However flat is the key. How you get there is your own business I suppose, but the reason I vary the patterns all the time is so I never grind one side/direction too much. Now if you want a mirror-like finish at a lower grit, just sand in one direction for a bit (of course this could also make the heatink a little lop-sided, so your call :p). Also I forgot to mention, if you want a good lapping kit ready to go, this guy is great: http://www.easypckits.com/ . Considering the ridiculously cheap price, it's a great starter kit if you only plan on doing one chip. I still use the glass I got when I bought one :D.
 
To be honest, there really hasn't been much scientific research in this area I don't think :p. However flat is the key. How you get there is your own business I suppose, but the reason I vary the patterns all the time is so I never grind one side/direction too much. Now if you want a mirror-like finish at a lower grit, just sand in one direction for a bit (of course this could also make the heatink a little lop-sided, so your call :p). Also I forgot to mention, if you want a good lapping kit ready to go, this guy is great: http://www.easypckits.com/ . Considering the ridiculously cheap price, it's a great starter kit if you only plan on doing one chip. I still use the glass I got when I bought one :D.

Thanks! but that will probably be pricey as around 2 3m wet dry sand papers decide to do 600 800 1000 1500 2000 and will get 2 sheets of each will be around $25 and that i don't need to wait for shipping :) since i want to do it tomorrow!!*when i swap out motherboards* :p, and ill just use the glass table in the kitchen :D not sure if you said this but how would i check if its flat? a razor blade?

 
If you want to get a mirror finish at the end I recommend Mothers Mag polish. I did this on my CPU water block and I could have used it as a mirror. This can be important for identifying warping, irregularities, and such. Plus it looks so good!
 
Back
Top