cpu hs help and suggestions

xnikx

[H]ard|Gawd
im think about getting a new hs for my cpu
my current temps are idel around 42C and load at 53C on stock cooling.
e6600

I really wanted this one but it looks to big for my 680i, it looks like it wont fit because of the heat transfer pipe from the chipset.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118003

Someone suggested this one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835186134

How much would these lower my temps by?
Are there any others you would suggest?

Btw i have som artic silver 5, should i use that or the paste that comes with these?

xnikx,
I'm using the AMD model of that HSF. It is working very well for me and is much quieter. I dropped load temps from low 50s down to 39-40 range and that is running the fan on low.
Look around on the F/S forums and you can get one cheaper than the Egg if you are patient.

Thermaltake Big Typhoon, Scythe Ninja, Scythe Infinity, Tuniq Tower, etc.

The list goes on and on....

Make sure you read up on the different coolers, and try and focus only on the reviews which compare the cooler to the different solutions you're looking at. Otherwise you won't know if the temperature is that much lower because of the ambient temperature in the room, or because it's really that good. A good place to start would be silentpcreview.com which has a stiff focus on temperatures vs noise, but five minutes googling would net you hundreds of reviews on any of the coolers I posted above.

xnikx,

I'm using the Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro...not the Freezer 7 Pro. The Freezer 7 is for Intel sockets. The two models are very similar with only the mounting changed for the different socket. Keep that in mind when you go shopping...make sure you get the right one for your mobo.

I got mine for $15.00 out of the F/S section on this forum so look around. I did have to do a little sanding to get a flat surface on the bottom, but that took all of 30 minutes and was well worth it for the temp drop I got.

Good Luck!

Back