• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CPU help

jybgess

n00b
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
31
I'm building a computer for my son. I let him use mine once in a while to play BF3 and with BF4 around the corner, I rather just build him his own so I don't have to share lol. I'm thinking of going with a 6300. Its $119 on new egg. Here is my question, Should I wait a few months and see if the new AMD chips come out? I was reading AM3+ is dead and FM2+ is taking over and AMD is going to focus on APU CPU's. Will AMD still make a CPU that's not an APU? I'm going to give him my old GTX 670 so I dont need a CPU with a built in GPU.

Bottom line up front.... If I build around a 6300, I'll be able to upgrade the CPU to a 8350 if need be. If I wait for the FM2+ chips, Will they perform better for gaming than the current ADM CPU's? I'm trying not to change out motherboards. He will keep this computer for at lest 3 years. I really don't want to pay the $ for an Intel build. Does any of this make sense?
 
I would throw the bone directly to the FX8350 instead of buy a FX6300 then upgrade later... I hardly believe to see soon a APU that perform better as a pure CPU like the FX8350.. I would buy it an do a good OC specially if you will give him a GTX 670..
 
8320 > 8350. The 8320 is cheaper and will OC just the same as an 8350 would. Though you can't go wrong with the 6300 or 6350, either.

The upcoming FM2+ APU's and CPU's (Athlons for now) will perform better than any current Bulldozer and Piledriver-based quad-cores. And since there's really no games out that REQUIRE more than four cores, they will be a great option for any gaming build.
 
Don't rely on AMD releasing high-performance (6+ core) chips anytime soon. I'd sell my system and buy brand new if AMD released a 6-core APU with 7750 graphics onboard, but I don't think it's going to happen this decade.
 
The fate of FX itself is unclear, but for now there isn't anything pointing to new chips being on AM3+. However it has been confirmed by several users who had talks with AMD employees both in-person and via email that Socket AM3+ would receive "at least one more offering", but we don't know if this will be a Piledriver refresh or an eventual Steamroller-based FX chip.

It will become clear at the Fusion Developer Summit in November 2013 when the new roadmaps get released.
 
FX-8320 regularly go on sale on Amazon for $144. Same thing as a FX-8350. Then grab a 970 board on the cheap to complete the build. There are 990FX boards also if you want something with more features, but they get more expensive.

The reason why I say FX-8320 for this budget build is that you mentioned that your son likes to play BF4. Because of the difference in cores, the FX-8320 performs much better in this game than the FX-6300. Here is a chart showing CPU performance in the title. I'm looking at the FX-8350 as you can raise the multiplier and get the same speed without spending a dime. The game engine that powers BF4 is supposed to be in at least 15 more games. So your son can get a lot of benefit from it.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Battlefield_4_Beta-test-bf_4_proz_2.jpg


I would spend a few extra bucks and get 8GB of 1866 speed memory that is supported by whatever motherboard you choose. Please check the manufacturer's recommended memory list. The 1866 memory makes Windows 8 64 and the FX processors breath a little better. Oh and I highly recommend Win 8 64 for FX processors. It has a lot more multithreading capabilities that the FX processors love. Even the Intel processors perform better on it. It is highly recommended for this build.

I hope that your son loves whatever you build for him. I know I couldn't wait to help my dad build things when I was growing up. *Tips hat to a man that cares about his family.*

:)
 
I don't want to advertise but it seems as though you are pretty budgeted? and you talking buying on amazon? if you want to save money microcenter is at least $20 cheaper than any other retailer. just offering my 2 cents here.
 
I'm kinda on a budget. Just looking for a CPU that can handle BF4 and a Mobo that I wont have to upgrade for a few years. Thats why I was thinking about the FM2+ Mobo's. This build is not for me but for my son. If the CPU's with FM2+ release after Xmas than thats fine with me.
 
I'm not sure what the time line is for the FM2+ releases are, AMD is being tight lipped. So hopefully some news in the next month or so will give more insight.
 
FM2+ Kaveri desktop will release in either Dec. 2013 or Jan. 2014. Mobile Kaveri will be later in Q1 2014 due to OEM's testing them and shuffling their products around. FM2+ SR Athlons will follow later in 2014.

Several FM2+ boards are already available on Newegg.
 
That's right, I remember seeing an announcement from Gigabyte and Asus releasing new boards. I think the old addage of getting whats available now if you need it now, or just waiting if you're able to fits perfectly here. Either way you'll probably reallyenjoy it.
 
Thx for all the info. I'll just wait for the FM2+ to release.My 13 year old can wait a few more months,wont hurt him.
 
KAveri desktop will certainly not launch this year :) , somewhere before the end of Q1 2014 that is for sure
 
Definitely grab the 8320 and put a little overclock on it.

I would grab 16gb of 1866 ram with CAS 10.

The combination of running in dual channel, higher FSB, and faster memory speeds have picked up the overall feel and snappiness of my secondary rig.
 
Lol @ Digitimes. If mass-production would only start at the end of 2013, how would there be a paper launch at the same time?

I will wait for the APU Fusion Dev Summit in November before I trust articles with "anonymous sources". That's when AMD will talk about Kaveri and Steamroller more, as well as releasing the new roadmaps.
 
Back
Top