• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CPU HELP: Bios/Windows detects multi-processors when there is only one!

Austin86

n00b
Joined
Jul 26, 2005
Messages
6
:confused: I recently upgraded my Pentium 4 2ghz to a PEntium 4 E 3.0ghz. I noticed when booting up that the post detects two cpus. It has Cpu (1): Pentium 4 3 ghz followed by Cpu(2): Pentium 4 3 Ghz. Also when checking system properties in Windows the device under "computer" is listed as "ACPI multi-processor PC". Why is this happening and is there any way to fix this??


Thanks,
Austin

*as a side note I've noticed strange hangings with Firefox after I upgraded the CPU.
 
I'll throw a quick response out. Someone else can elaborate.

1) Your computer is fine. There is no problem.

2) Your old P4-2.0GHz probalby did not have HT (Hyper threading) Technology

3) Your new P4-3.0GHz does have HT Technology.

4) HT is basically seen in Windows as a virtual processor in addtion to your physical processor. That's why you see the same processor listed twice. This allows the operating system to calculate faster than with a standard physical processor and no HT. Like I said it is a good thing.

5) Finally, don't worry about & enjoy : )

Others, correct me if my assumptions are wrong. I think I covered it....
 
feelx77 said:
I'll throw a quick response out. Someone else can elaborate.

1) Your computer is fine. There is no problem.

2) Your old P4-2.0GHz probalby did not have HT (Hyper threading) Technology

3) Your new P4-3.0GHz does have HT Technology.

4) HT is basically seen in Windows as a virtual processor in addtion to your physical processor. That's why you see the same processor listed twice. This allows the operating system to calculate faster than with a standard physical processor and no HT. Like I said it is a good thing.

5) Finally, don't worry about & enjoy : )

Others, correct me if my assumptions are wrong. I think I covered it....


Ahh thanks! I thought it might have something to with HT.
 
Yeah, with HT you have 2 "logical" processors. It's the same principle as having multiple logical drives (C:, D:, etc) on one physical hard drive.

For execution purposes, windows sees 2 CPU's even though there's only really one core. Functionally it's kind of like having 1.5 CPU's when dealing with multithreading. It's not quite as good as having 2 physical processors, but it's better than just having one.
 
Thanks for all your help!. Any idea on the firefox problem? I've tried Version 1.0, 0.8, and .9 and I'm having the same random freezing problem with all of them. I'll be surfing fine, but then at some random point(usually relative soon after opening(say under 5 minutes)) firefox just stops responding and i have to use task manager to close it.

Thanks,
AUstin
 
Back
Top