CPU heat problem.

u8myrice

2[H]4U
I've been running my 820D at 40C idle and 50C load for a couple of months. Everything's been going fine, until this afternoon, the temperature spiked up to like 85C. I check my watercooler and everything's been running fine. What's wrong with the CPU? I'm afraid to turn it back on, fearing it'll fry.

Knocked your case about recently?
The WC block might not be seated properly, or one of the holding mounts has started to crack, loosening the pressure on the processor core.
It's pretty unlikely the problem lies in the processor, so check your cooling.
Could also have an overvolting board/PSU, so whip out the multimeter and start measuring!

I checked the waterblock. Everything seems ok. You might be right about the overvolting. I have a crappy Aspire 500W PSU. I don't have a multimeter, is there any way to check it without one?

The motherboard is the one that came in the Intel Retail Edge package (my sig). The caps around the CPU socket (ones with copper wire wrapped around them) have a color that isn't the same as my other computers. Its dark-brown/black. I'll try and take a picture.

Hmm...
You can't accurately check voltages without a multimeter, but your motherboard sensors can usually provide a number that is in the ball park, so go and grab motherboard monitor, run a few instances of Prime95 or 3DMark, and check to see what's happening with your voltages (and keep an eye on the temps, seeing as that's the problem area).
The caps, I'm not too sure about, but colour doesn't mean anything. See if you can grab a glimpse of the branding on them.
It's pretty unlikely that your PC suddenly starts overvolting only the CPU, so I'm more inclined to lean towards the cooling system at the moment. Give your system a quick once over, and take a look to see if your pump is running somewhat erratically. Could be not pumping enough water through, or dumping an excess of heat into the water (very unlikely).

Back