CPU header question

B!nd.

Gawd
Would there be any issues if I don't plug a fan into the cpu header on the motherboard? I have an H100i v2 coming and I want to hook the fans up to the fan control I have instead. Would the motherboard prevent me from booting up if it doesn't find a fan plugged in?
Will I have issues with the Corsair software?

Depends on the motherboard. Some boards will stop on boot with an error such as "CPU fan fail" or similar. There may be an option in the BIOS to disable that feature.

I'm quite sure the pump on the h100i v2 will plug into the cpu header and provide pump rpm .

There is a trick involving a 555 timer being used to generate a fake PWM signal. I swear I saw it on [H] around a year ago.

Bummer. That's what I thought. Seems like it's not worth the hassle to work around it. FWIW I have a Hero VIII board. I do have another case fan, albeit pointless, to hook up to my last controller slot.

I have an Asus z170-a and in monitor it allows the option to Ignore the cpu header

Interesting. I was going to get that board but went with the Hero instead. I'm sure there is an option for it in that case. Now I wonder if it will affect the H100i unit.

I had an H100i hooked up just week ago and never had issues with booting up. Cant remember if i had it plugged into cpu header or not. I'm now doing a custom loop so have it Ignored so i dont get the alarm and boot fail.

Back