CPU/hardware for heavy browsing?

Immolation1991

Weaksauce
Hello,

what hardware do I need for heavy browsing use with like 100-200+ tabs open, watching live charts, videos, chats streams.

Of course as much RAM as possible is a no brainer, but how many cores/threads are sufficient for this case, like could a 6C/12T be enough? Or also as much as possible?

I am currenty running G4560 with 16GB Ram, GTX 1060. 80-100 tabs work pretty fine depending on the content, but as soon as I go higher the pc slows down and browsing experience becomes a pain in the a.

I already considered a Ryzen, but I wondered if they support ram running in quad channel?

Also could an SSD or faster memory speed benefit me in this case?

Besides a little gaming, it's the only thing I do, so no video editing, streaming on my own whatsoever.

thanks in advance

what browser are you using? I notice Firefox gets really sluggish when it uses lots of ram, requiring me to restart it.
I usually have 50 or so tabs open.
firefox-lotsa-ram.jpg

I am currently trying out different browsers, but mainly using Chrome atm. With Firefox I have big performance issues as soon as I have more than 3-4 video tabs open, I don't know what it is. With Chrome I noticed that after a certain time live content stops working/loading and I have to reload each tab then. It kinda sucks I havent looked much into the software sidie so far either. My goal is just to click a tab and instantly see the content without much delay/loading times while having as many tabs open as possible.

I imagine you're running out of RAM. What does your RAM usage look like when you have that many tabs open at once? Actually, just do whatever it is you do on your computer and keep checking memory usage. Then when the computer gets sluggish and starts having issues check memory usage again. I run 32GB of RAM on my system. I normally have ~20 - 30 tabs open at once, Photoshop open with a few pictures in it and other misc. programs loaded. Currently sitting at almost 10GB of used memory with only 16 tabs open, Phiotoshop open, Steam running, few BOINC projects running (each one of those tasks are using between 160MB (6 tasks waiting to run tasks) and 380MB (1 task that's running).

Chrome is using the most memory, by far and I'm not even doing any video watching on Chrome.

so far 80-100 tabs are my limit, depending on the content, then my RAM is maxed out, and switching between tabs gets slow, CPU is stressed 40-60% when I dont watch a video.

As per your picture, you only need more RAM because that's what the browser is eating up. Your CPU is 1% only that is not a problem. So just add more RAM to it. and you will be fine.

This is how much ram 1 tab can use up in Firefox browsing facebook, lol
facebook-firefox-ram-usage.jpg

I could be wrong, but Firefox gets sluggish around 2GB, long before my PC runs out of ram. And the 64-bit version didn't seem to change anything. For 200 tabs, something other than FF probably, unless 64-bit nightly has changed things.

There is no browser that will handle the chore you laid out, it has nothing to do with the PC it's running on either.

Back