CPU Handling?

Glyphic

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm taking A+ this year at a tech school along with hs, and my a+ teacher said there is enough electricity in your body to short out a cpu. I find this a bit strange, and I've never heard anything like this before? Anyone heard of this?

Computer components are sensitive to static electricity discharge; it's always possible that you have enough of a charge on you to fry hardware. In reality, it's not very likely..

I've been an A+ certified technician for years. I can tell you that most of what you will learn in that class is either dated or has nothing to do with working on computers.

Things like your A+ teacher will tell you to never use magnetic tipped screwdrivers when working on PC's. Which is a bunch of crap. Just don't run the tip over the top of the drive and you'll be fine.

I personally hate working with non-magnetic screw drivers.

ESD damage is very real. A static shock that you can't possibly feel is enough to completely kill a piece of hardware.

The thing people seem to think for no obvious reason is that if the component doesn't die instantly when they touch it that they've never caused ESD damage to any hardware and that its a very rare thing for it to happen. Thats where their completely wrong through.

It takes alot more of a static shock to completely kill the component than it does to just shorten its lifespan and lower its performance. You could pick up a piece of hardware improperly while your not grounded and cause enough ESD damage to it that it just simply wont overclock as far as it would before or it might fail in 6 months or 6 years instead of lasting for 10+ years.

ESD damage is a leading cause of hardware failure and is ranked right up there with power supplies which are the two top reasons a component fails. Its definitely something you want to take precautions for when handling expensive equipment.

Everything you'll ever need to know (...?!!?...) can be found in this FAQ put together by Ice Czar. Pay attention to "latent damage".....that's the one that can really cause a person grief.

ESD prevention measures aren't complicated or expensive. A good dose of common sense helps loads, too.

Regards - B.B.S.

Back