CPU Fan Error!

black.hat

Weaksauce
Just completed my new PC setup, however as soon as turn on the pc it come up with the following error:

CPU Fan Error! Press F1 to run setup.

Then the pc shuts off after like 3-4 minutes and if i turn it on again it shuts off sooner, something like less than 1min.

I've checked the whole fans in the case, and they are all working fine. please note that the motherboard is Asus Rampage IV Extreme, and the CPU is i7-3930K.

The cooling system on the CPU is corsair H100.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2v9268w.jpg

Any idea?

Did you plug the small 3 pin rpm header from the block into your cpu fan plug? If you did and it still doesn't work, it could even be a faulty H100 or even a bad connection in that wire. My first H100 was faulty. Also try just attaching a normal 3pin case fan to the cpu fan header if you had the H100s plugged in and got the error.

Is the H100 plugged into the cpu fan header? Or did you maybe plug it into something else, and leave the cpu fan header open? That's happened a time or two to me... :D

What? where? when? sorry i am all confused. There is a lot of CPU headers, they all says "CPU FAN" not sure where i should plug the cable?

i got two fans cable that come out from the H100 Fans on the roof of case. plus 1 cable that come out from the H100 cooler that is on cpu, which and where i should plug the cable?

http://i49.tinypic.com/qq3fv8.jpg

You have two CPU Fan Headers. One is marked 'Optional'. Make sure your H100 is plugged into the main CPU Fan Header, not the 'Optional' one.

there is one tiny, 1 wire, 3 pin plug coming from the H100's block. You plug that into the 3pin "CPU FAN" header on your motherboard.

there is one tiny, 1 wire, 3 pin plug coming from the H100's block. You plug that into the 3pin "CPU FAN" header on your motherboard.

Ok I've connected it to CPU_FAN. However the ugly fan error is still showing up! :(

do what Elmy said
go into bios and on monitor page for CPU/case fans click ignore or lower minimums to 200.
Also make sure you have the shorter 2011 R4E socket standoffs

Hmm.. Do you have the pump sent on option 1 or 2? The rpms of the pump may be below your bios' threshold warning. First try setting the pump so all 3 lights are on, see if it works. If not, if your temps are ok, I'd just get fed up and turn off the fan warning in the bios.

Just completed my new PC setup, however as soon as turn on the pc it come up with the following error:

CPU Fan Error! Press F1 to run setup.

Then the pc shuts off after like 3-4 minutes and if i turn it on again it shuts off sooner, something like less than 1min.

Any idea?

My current setup is very different from yours, Intel i3 + ASUS board, I think P7H55-something, but I get this error from time to time. The CPU came with the stock cooler, which works fine at stock settings.

So I just press F1 and then continue on. I have never had the system shut down because the CPU overheated, so I have concluded that there is some sort of "race condition" here.

Hope this helps.

Seems like the error was right. I find that H100 power cable was bad, Replaced it with a new one and it resolved the issue. What a silly problem.

Thanks for the help.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't you have all 4 red or all 4 black dimms populated on that board to take advantage of quad channel?

Just fixed the fan error on another Asus/AMD(AM3+) machine. Just went into the bios and lowered the minimum cpu fan speed setting and no more error. I think stock is 600rpm and the fan was running at around 550rpm so I set it to 500.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't you have all 4 red or all 4 black dimms populated on that board to take advantage of quad channel?

+1 I'm always surprised at how much money people can spend on the hardware without knowing how to use/configure it. People asking about SLI cables, etc.

Back