CPU fan error / overtemp error

MrReplay

n00b
I am getting an error on the BIOS screen saying CPU fan error, press f1 for set up. I noticed in the set up that the fan speed shows 'n/a'. I tried rebooting and got the same error as well as an overtemp error. I took the fan off an reseated it but it didn't help.. Note the fan looks like its getting power and is connected to the main CPU pwr header on the board

My setup:

ASUS PZ68-V mobo
i7-2600k
Corsair H80 fan

Could anyone suggest how to troubleshoot this problem? How likely is it the CPU has been damaged?

For the H80 you are supposed to hook up the pump to the cpu fan pins and the fan to the system power pins (or vice versa)

Make sure you followed those directions

For the H80 is there supposed to be a wire that connects to the header for fan speed only?

So the two radiator fans are connected to the heat sink, the cable from that is connected to the CPU fan header

Last edited:
Do you have the molex connector hooked up? H80 should be 2 fans to pump unit and pump unit to cpu header and a molex connector actually supplying the power.

Then you have 3 possibles issues, first the motherboard fan header its damaged(connect other fan to test/discard that option)..

Second, the cable from the waterblock/pump its damaged and aren't reporting the pump speed to the mobo..

Third and most important, the pump may be broken... Thats why the overheat problem and/or the CPU fan error..

If you connect another fan to the CPU fan header and you are able to boot into windows check temperatures, if are high then the pump are broken..

So I got an Intel fan in the post today (labelled i5-2320 LGA1155)

I took the H80 off the board, along with the 2 Noctua F12's that were mounted on either side of the radiator.

I attached the Intel fan connected to the header labelled CPU_fan; now when I try & boot it starts for a second or 2 turns off then tries to start again - the CPU light is lit the whole time

I really not sure what to do now? Any help appreciated..

So I realised I didn't have one of the cables to the board connected - it now boots fine so I'm guessing the H80 died...

Thanks for all the help here, this forum is great :D

Back