Cpu fan connector busted. Need advice.

The Cpu fan connector on my MSI 6380 mobo broke yesterday. Temps went through the roof, and I had to unhook the front fan and plug the Cpu fan there. I only have 2 fan connectors on the mobo, and the most I can do is attach 1 fan. The fan in the back gets powered by the PSU so I changed its direction to intake air.Right now I dont have a fan that blows hot air outside the system.

So what I wanted to know is: How to spend the least and make the fans work again?

well, you'd have to show us what broke. If the connector shorted out, then it's probably done. If the plastic or something else broke, you might be able to fix it.

For $1-2 you can get either a 3 pin y splitter or a 4pin to three pin adapter. Ratshack might even have them.

Oh, yeah, for the *cheapest* you could just splice into your power supply. The wiring is already there. It'd be semi-permanent (unless you got tap splices), but it'd be the cheapest.

A 3pin to Molex will do what ya need. If your HSF has a Delta Jet Turbine on it, a fanbus or speed controller will give you back the speed control.

well, you'd have to show us what broke. If the connector shorted out, then it's probably done. If the plastic or something else broke, you might be able to fix it.

I dont have a digital camera otherwise I would take a picture of it and show you. I think it shorted out because there are no pins ebnt or missing from the connector, and it suddenly stopped working.

And if the 3 pin plug is shorted I dont think I would be able to use the 3-pin to Molex controller. Maybe?

If it suddenly stopped working, I would think the HSF draws to much current for the on board controller.

For a rewire tie the red fan wire to the yellow on a molex and the blk to a blk. The Fan should still work.

Back