• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

CPU Dying?

fullvietFX

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 1, 2004
Messages
2,015
I've been getting BSODs randomly the last month and I couldn't pin down what the problem was so I underclocked my CPU to 3.6GHz instead of 3.8GHz and the BSODs stopped. I was at 3.8GHz for a year rock stable. The weird thing is it doesn't BSOD when I do IntelBurn Test for example at 3.8GHz for at least three hours (I don't run it longer because I don't have time). However now that I'm back at 3.6GHz/1.312V instead of 3.8GHz/1.36V no more BSOD. :(
 
Last edited:
It's not unusual for an overclocked 45nm Core 2 CPU to degrade a little over time and for it to need a little more core voltage. Either that or less MHz.
 
My guess would be a flaky power supply and/or memory issues. Those would be the first things I would look at if I were you. Good luck.
 
My guess would be a flaky power supply and/or memory issues. Those would be the first things I would look at if I were you. Good luck.

Just bought this power supply so I doubt that it's that. Also ran MemTest for five passes with success. :(
 
Pump up the juice. If it dies it gives you a good reason to build a new setup.

Unless x-mas is putting a hurt on your wallet. If so then I'd just keep it backed off.
 
Pump up the juice. If it dies it gives you a good reason to build a new setup.

Unless x-mas is putting a hurt on your wallet. If so then I'd just keep it backed off.

I have two other rigs in the house with an E6850 and a Q8400. Going to upgrade the E6850 to the Q9550 when I get Ivy Bridge. :D
 
Just bought this power supply so I doubt that it's that. Also ran MemTest for five passes with success. :(

Might be the mobo. Or, of course, the cpu.

But since you are about to upgrade and make this Q9550 the heart of a secondary machine I wouldn't worry about it. :)
 
what's it say when you BSOD (get a read of the dump)

It could even be something you installed recently. (Driver, utility of some kind)
 
It's not unusual for an overclocked 45nm Core 2 CPU to degrade a little over time and for it to need a little more core voltage. Either that or less MHz.

Yep, a lot of my OCed processors after some time needed either more voltage or less overclock to remain stable. My heavily overclocked/over volted once in a couple years time got bad enough that they needed to be slighly over volted to run stable at stock speeds.
 
Back
Top