• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CPU Down-clocking itself? (not speed step)

95Theses

n00b
Joined
Mar 3, 2010
Messages
2
Hello All,

First time poster long time lurker and all that Jazz.

I just built a new computer for my mate. He wanted it just for email, internet etc and had no interest in doing anything else on it (360 for games already) so I did it on a budget for him. I used this CPU and MB:

GIGABYTE GA-G41M-ES2H LGA 775 Intel G41 HDMI Micro ATX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128396

Intel Celeron E3300 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116264

I'm in the UK so I bought them from Scan - www.scan.co.uk which is where I buy all my bits from as I've always found them to be excellent on service and price.

It's built and working fine, but I noticed on Boot it was reporting the CPU at 1.7Ghz.

I then installed CPU-Z and it says the same, it's at 1.7 (200 x 8.5) and speed stepping down to 1.2 (200 x 6)

I spoke to a tech support guy at scan because I couldn't fnd anything on the net about it. He said it was strange and he'd never heard of it, but that I should just bump the multiplier up to 12.5 in the BIOS and see if that fixes it.

I am going to drop round to my mates house and do that tomorrow, but I'm worried that it might not even post with such a huge overclock, even though it's only taking it to what it is rated at.

The tech guy at scan said that if it didn't work I can just RMA it as it means it's a faulty processor, but like I say I've never heard of this before. i'd rather not have to RMA it and have my mate without a computer for a while.

Has anyone had any experience with this before?

Thanks.
 
This is may be C1E. When the CPU is at idle it runs at the lowest voltage and speed step. You want this on because it saves a lot of heat and power.

If you want to see the full speed run application at 100% cpu when you are running cpu-z

I am going to drop round to my mates house and do that tomorrow, but I'm worried that it might not even post with such a huge overclock
It will definitely post at 2.5GHz. This is a core2 based chip. It will most likely post at 3.0GHz. Now looking at this again, I think your problem is the bios is not set to auto multiplier.
 
Last edited:
Right I'll have a look at that. Seems strange it wouldn't be as I haven't touched the BIOS since it arrived at all.

Like I said, I don't think it's speed step as

a) On boot is shows at 1.7
b) Idle in CPU-Z it shows 1.2 (200 x 6) which is what I thought speed step was supposed to do, throttle the multiplier down to 6x , and as soon as you put a load on it it goes up to 1.7 (8.5 x 200)

I will report back results.
 
The BIOS in the MB is reading the multiplier of the CPU wrong (not uncommon with Gigabyte). You can see if there is a newer revision of the BIOS and flash it to that, which may fix the multiplier, or just go into the BIOS and set it to 12.5. This is not an OC; you can not set the multiplier higher than the max value that Intel set for the chip.

C1E always sets the multiplier to 6 at idle regardless of the chip's max multiplier.
 
Back
Top