CPU die simulators and the real world?

CoW]8(0)

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 25, 2005
Messages
1,427
I know CPU die simulators allow the C/W charts and probably provide more consistent mounts, but are they really indicative of relative cooling performance? Now that most CPUs are equipped with an IHS, how useful are their results?

Wouldn't a cooling device specifically engineered for low density heat (ie a CPU with an IHS) suffer in tests with a CPU die simulator?
 
a cpu die simulator operates by replacing the IHS with a heating element of the same size and removing the cpu from the equation alltogether. With that in mind, I dont understand how exactly you think a die simulator would be innacurate at finding how efficient a certain heatsink is at dissipating heat at a certain wattage (usually the maximum wattage), whereas the wattage draw of most processors is less. :confused:
 
A cpu die simulator simulates the CPU die. I thought that was fairly obvious in the name. It doesn't simulate the IHS. It assumes the IHS is not a factor when testing.
 
Back
Top