CPU Delima

Bio Hazord

Limp Gawd
Right now I have 2 CPU’s. One is a Northwood 3.06GHZ and the other is a Prescott 3.2GHZ. The problems is I am in a small room and it seems to get extremely hot (I don’t think to the point were the chip is in danger, but it is uncomfortable) the bios on the gigabyte motherboard read it at about 68C under load and any were from 54-64C idle (this is on a Koolance water cooling system). Should I sacrifice the speed (which the 3.06 can overclock to easily) or should I keep the Prescott.

I would ditch the Prescott. Intel really let me down with the release of this processor. You sacrifice some cache size with the Northwood, but you don't experience any real gain with the Prescott due to its 30 stage pipeline compared to the Northwood's 21 stage pipeline.

If I were you, that's what I would do. Plus, the temperature ambience of the Northwood's are significantly lower, as you've noticed already.

Dark Assassin

Since you have water cooling, I'd actually say stick with the Prescott, since it has an 800 Mhz FSB compared to the 533 Mhz FSB of the 3.06 Northwood. However, it does seem to run a little toasty even water cooled - how hot is your room ambient temp?

Also, what kind of motherboard are you using?

If you find that your room is getting very warm another culprit could be your monitor(s). I know that if i leave my computer on its fine but if i leave me monitors on my room gets pretty warm.

this is somewhat related, i have an asus p4p800, 1 gig corsair pc3200 ram, and a p4 3.0 prescott, i was wondering what would be a good idle temp and good under-load temp. right now im using the stock fan and heatsink and no watercooling and no OCing. idle im getting around 40C and under-load around high 40's C, at least that's what the asus utility says

I read some were the giga-byte boards read from the sensor on the cpu and that is why it shows it show hot. A thermal probe near the CPU reads about 106F during load and about 92F durning idle.

I never thought of monitors because I have 2 17" CRT's in my room. Guess I will stick with the Prescoutt for now and try to fix the aircondition vent in my room :cool:

Back