• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CPU Cooling Solutions - E8500

GreatestOne

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 15, 2005
Messages
488
I will be replacing my E6750 (OC 3.2) soon, and I was always disappointed that I could not OC is higher bec a lot of reviews claimed to be able to go at least to 3.5 ghz or more... so then I'm thinking, it has to be the cooler right? Well the one i got had very good reviews on newegg, ZEROtherm BTF90 92mm, the one that looks like a butterfly. (maybe in this one the fins are TOO close together?)

Well anyways, I dont think I want to use that for my E8500, because I wanna max this one out... the AC Freezer 7 Pro seems like a great workhorse but the complaints about the install tabs dont agree with me, so I am thinking about the ZALMAN CNPS9500 now. I do have a case big enough to fit anything and thus, was thinking about the Scythe Ninja.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!
 
omg.. another one of these. a scroll down in this forum section will yield plenty of answers and recommendations
such as .. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1349766

or by googling (since you already said your case will fit anything) which yields many review sites such as ..
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm which is a good place to start.

You'll be getting the usual recommendations of S1283, TRUE if you have the money, Tuniq Tower, etc.etc. The Ninja doesn't match up to its former glory anymore and the Zalman is loud at higher rpms.
 
...review sites such as ..
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm which is a good place to start.

You'll be getting the usual recommendations of S1283, TRUE if you have the money, Tuniq Tower, etc.etc. The Ninja doesn't match up to its former glory anymore and the Zalman is loud at higher rpms.

Is it just me or do I not see the Tuniq in the top 10 list u sent me?

And having the money meaning if I can afford $10 more than for the S1283 or Sunbeams' CCF? If the Tuniq is really better and that list u sent me is screwed up $10 wont break my bank.

IMO, yes I can spend about 5 hours reading thru every review site, and I have, for like an hour... but that still only narrows it down to a few while some reviews negate other reviews, so its nice to know some personal opinions on the pros and cons for people who have my similar configs instead of just tossing some dice and picking one. I thought this is why people come here to ask these questions.
 
T.R.U.E
Xigmatek S1283 w/ Crossbow attachement
OCZ Vendetta 2

It depends on your budget. If you have the money I would buy a Thermalright Ultra Extreme w/ 1 "P" 120mm Noctua Fan
 
That Thermo Ultra Ext, did they fix that bracket problem with Core2Duo's yet?

As we get more pricey here, makes we wonder for some more cash, would it be worth it jus go water cooled... i dont mind a little noise but I guess u cant beat silent.... but now this is a whole another threda isnt it.... this is just as bad as tweaking a custom car once u get to the nitty gritty... but its fun as heck isnt it. Wouldnt mind hitting the 5 ghz mark with the 8500.
 
That Thermo Ultra Ext, did they fix that bracket problem with Core2Duo's yet?

As we get more pricey here, makes we wonder for some more cash, would it be worth it jus go water cooled... i dont mind a little noise but I guess u cant beat silent.... but now this is a whole another threda isnt it.... this is just as bad as tweaking a custom car once u get to the nitty gritty... but its fun as heck isnt it. Wouldnt mind hitting the 5 ghz mark with the 8500.

Depending on what you use, water cooling isn't totally silent if you want good performance.
You need at least 1x 120mm fan on the radiator. For the money (cost vs performance) I wouldn't use a WC setup on a dual core. The Thermalright Ultra Extreme is currently the king of air cooler but a little on the pricey side since it doesn't come with a fan. It's hard to beat the OCZ Vendetta 2 or Xigmatek S1283 for the price. I can get locally here in Montreal a OCZ Vendetta 2 for 40$ + taxes.
 
Depending on what you use, water cooling isn't totally silent if you want good performance.
You need at least 1x 120mm fan on the radiator. For the money (cost vs performance) I wouldn't use a WC setup on a dual core.

Ya I hear what u saying... and ya the radiator fans and then still need 2-3 system fans running so.... ya.. but i been researching wc and for about $250 I can get a decent system for the CPU and thats about $200 more than the heat sink/fan with possiblities of adding the GPU and chipset wc parts in the future... and I am thinking, I will be upgrading to the Quad eventually anyways so.... but in all honesty, wc system will be a lot less noise right? Right now I think I have like 7 fans running.
 
Ya I hear what u saying... and ya the radiator fans and then still need 2-3 system fans running so.... ya.. but i been researching wc and for about $250 I can get a decent system for the CPU and thats about $200 more than the heat sink/fan with possiblities of adding the GPU and chipset wc parts in the future... and I am thinking, I will be upgrading to the Quad eventually anyways so.... but in all honesty, wc system will be a lot less noise right? Right now I think I have like 7 fans running.

If you use quiet 120mm fans and do a complete WC setup including CPU,NB,GPU then yeah the noise would be pretty low indeed. I mean if you're not short on cash then a nice water cooling setup is very sexy. You need to know what you're getting into though. I hate 'maintenance' that's why I prefer air cooling but it's my personal opinion. I would slap a TRUE w/ a Noctua 'P' fan (or 2 in push/pull configuration) on the CPU and and TRAD2 on the GPU.
 
Xig S1283 for sale $23! Think I gotta take that and worry about water cooling later if i even wanna do it.
 
Back
Top