• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CPU Cooler - Vertical Motherboard

MichiganPC

n00b
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
47
I build a computer every 7 to 10 years so I'm always behind on things.

On my current build a friend recommend a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler. When used on a vertical mother board (mid tower case) Are there any issues with the weight of these types of CPU coolers with the fan and sink that stand off the CPU on heat pipes. Nothing to worry about the weight stressing the mother board?
 
What MB are you using?

The weight of the cooler is 460 grams, shouldn't be an issue, but if you're worried, look for a good cooler that uses a backplate.

That will give you more stability and spread the stress out.
 
The 212 will be fine on your Asus, but it's not much of a cooler by today's standards. There are several out there now that do better for similar money. Any cooler will be fine. The cooler weight is really not a problem.
 
Honestly, the Noctua and Dark Rock coolers make the 212 look like a lightweight. You'll be fine with most anything you choose.
 
I'm more interested in a quiet CPU cooler and don't want to spend more than ~30$. I'm running an i5 (65watt) and I'm not overclocking.
 
Honestly, the Noctua and Dark Rock coolers make the 212 look like a lightweight. You'll be fine with most anything you choose.

Pretty much this, i've got a 212+ and a 212Evo in machines I own. The 212+ has been on the thing since I bought it a bit after the i5-760 it has came out. (I kinda got lazy and left it on when I transplanted the motherboard/processor/etc.. into the new system)

I'm more interested in a quiet CPU cooler and don't want to spend more than ~30$. I'm running an i5 (65watt) and I'm not overclocking.

You'll be fine though you may have to take the motherboard out to install the backplate if you don't have a case with an access door/hole in the motherboard tray. Enable fan speed control and you won't be able to hear it at idle.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you're looking for a quiet cooler and don't want to mortgage the house I suggest the Dynatron G950. At 800g its pretty big and dissipates 150w of heat with a quiet PWM fan in the 600-1600 RPM range. I use to use one with an overclocked Phenom II X4 @ 4.0 Ghz. If I were still aircooling I'd buy another in a heartbeat while some stores still have them in stock. But one suggestion, you might want to add some spacers to the securing screws (I used small washers) to put more tension to the springs, I found they could be a little tighter for something that's 800g hanging off your board. And yes, it uses a backplate system.

http://www.amazon.com/Dynatron-G950...f=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1415769519
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't like 212, but it cools better and is quieter than G950
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/dynatron-evo11-g950_7.html#sect1

Logisys MC6002GS Gamer Storm .. $31.99 + $1.99 post.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835999015

$3.1.99 w/ free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/Logisys-Gamer-Storm-Cooling-MC6002GS/dp/B007G6XX4G

Logisys MC6002GS Gamer Storm; AKA Deepcool Gamer Storm; AKA Alpenföhn Matterhorn is better value with better cooling than 212
http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/316...g-test-results-cooling-performance-high-speed.

This review shows Matterhorn at 1000rpm being 4.5c cooler and 9dBA quieter than 212 at full speed. 10dBA increase sounds twice as loud to our ears.
At full speed Matterhorn is 8.5c cooler and 1.3dBA louder than 212. We can't hear a 1.3dBA difference.
http://www.tomshardware.fr/articles/test-comparatif-ventirad-CPU,2-35-6.html
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sure doyll, 212 and the g950 are pretty comparable, except in price. $20

.....20.....dollars.....shipped......

I'd like to see someone post a comparable heatsink for the same price cause I have yet to see it in this thread.
 
How about you get down off your high horse and act like the rest of us. That chip on your shoulder must be hurting your back.

I"m not saying G950 is bad, just not as good.
G950 isn't as good as 212 .. and Matterhorn / Gamer Storm is much better than 212.

And as MichiganPC opened this thread referencing 212, my replies reference it for performance and price comparisons. Hyper 212 Evo sell on Amazon for similar price to Matterhorn.


I will add that the weight of cooler .. as others have said .. is not a problem.
 
One additional question about the 212 EVO or similar Cooler Master sinks.

The center screw on the retention plate does it serve any other purpose than alignment? Is it threaded and you turn it to apply more pressure on the heat sink? I forgot to look before installing and the manual does not mention anything.
 
One additional question about the 212 EVO or similar Cooler Master sinks.

The center screw on the retention plate does it serve any other purpose than alignment? Is it threaded and you turn it to apply more pressure on the heat sink? I forgot to look before installing and the manual does not mention anything.

That's pretty much it. It's sole purpose is to hold the screw arms in place to the heatsink.
 
Back
Top