• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CPU cooler hitting PSU!

romero

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 4, 2008
Messages
74
As i am working on my first build, I install the Processor and an aftermarket CPU cooler. I bought the Cooler Master Sphere and it's huge! As I am getting ready to install the motherboard with all components I find out that the CPU cooler is going to be hitting the PSU. I will be taking it back to Frys and getting something smaller. Does this happen often?
 
Should I just stick with the fan that came with my processor q9450? or still buy a aftermarket?
 
Should I just stick with the fan that came with my processor q9450? or still buy a aftermarket?

The stock cooler will be fine if you don't plan on overclocking, although you may find it noisy and want an aftermarket cooler anyway. If that's the case, it would be helpful to know the model of your case. There's no way to recommend a cooler that will fit without knowing how much space you have.
 
stock coolers are notorious for letting the CPU run at the edge of the thermal limit even at stock speeds.

take that box cooler and trash it before you are tempted to use it.

TRUE120 plzkthx
 
Haha, when i bought my xigmatek s1283 i found out that it was so high that it was going to hit my side 80mm case fan in my Tsunami case. Had enough space issues with that case and bought a new one lol. :)
 
As i am working on my first build, I install the Processor and an aftermarket CPU cooler. I bought the Cooler Master Sphere and it's huge! As I am getting ready to install the motherboard with all components I find out that the CPU cooler is going to be hitting the PSU. I will be taking it back to Frys and getting something smaller. Does this happen often?

Not really, pretty rare. A common one is the cooler hitting the side of the case or something like that, or being very close (think about a normally mounted Tuniq Tower, in an Antec Nine Hundred).
 
stock coolers are notorious for letting the CPU run at the edge of the thermal limit even at stock speeds.

It's not a thermal limit, it's exactly what it says: a thermal specification. Tjmax is more the thermal limit. I can OC my q9450 to 3.4-3.6 with the stock cooler. Stock hsfs are better at the higher end than the low-end, and the q9450 is towards the high end.

OP: replace it by all means if you find one that fits, but if you're not OCing a lot you may want to consider saving your $$.
 
Back
Top