CPU considerations: Multitasking, hobbies and gaming

Yes, thanks. It's much appreciated. When you first posted, I tried to build around a 13700k, but struggled to find an equivalent mATX setup in my market. I'll look again today. I've decided to go with the smaller from factor for a few reasons too boring to list here, so that limits case and Mobo options.

The rm850x was on my shortlist before bed. I'll do some more research today and try replacing the PSU before buying the rest. No harm in trying.
Well an ITX motherboard will fit an MATX case

I hadn't considered ITX, but took a look. They seem like a lot of work and unnecessary compromises for me. Dongles, fewer slots, that sort of thing.

The Gigabyte Z790M Aorus Elite AX looks like a decent 1700 board similar to the Gigabyte B650M AORUS ELITE AX in my list, but it isn't available anywhere from what I can tell. If the new PSU can help me limp on until June, I may have more options that appeal to me on the Intel side of things.

Edit/Addendum:

The Corsair rm850x and AP201 pose some problems. If you use the PSU bracket of the AP201 as intended, it covers up the connectors. If you mount the PSU using the fan screw holes, the cables are either pointing forwards or the exhaust is pointing downwards. It might be possible to flip the fan to reverse the direction, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

The other two PSUs on my shortlist are the be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850W and ASUS ROG Strix 850W Gold Aura Edition.

Last edited:
I ended up going for the be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850W. The shop I ordered from had a sale on the Ryzen 9 7900... and was cheapest for many of the other components on my list... so I caved. Looks like I'll be building a new mATX rig this week.

Final component list:

Asus AP201 mATX case
Gigabyte B650M AORUS ELITE AX
AMD Ryzen 9 7900
Kingston FURY 64 GB DDR5-5600 36 36 38
Transcend 250H 4 TB
Pure Power 12 M 850W
GTX 970 (to be replaced / budgeting around 700-900)

total: 1129 euros so far

I didn't order the AIO since the delivery time was 1 week minimum. Figured I could see what things look like before I buy any additional cooling options. Doubt I'll be unlocking the CPU until I have a modern GPU to keep pace.

Last edited:
A quick update on my end. The new rig is built and Kenshi runs much much smoother, even with the GTX970. Loading times are down significantly as are the stutters I had. So I was definitely CPU bound with that title. I haven't yet tested any other games, but I'm happy I didn't settle for a weaker CPU.

Can't wait to see what games will play like when I update the GPU too.

I'm replacing the stock Wraith cooler with a Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 AIO, which I decided to go for instead of the 360 after building in all the other components. I think it will fit better and be easier to manage and allow me greater flexibility in GPU selection down the line. I'm hoping the AIO will be quieter than the wraith.

Back