CPU Choices

Ivan_Only

Limp Gawd
Hello, I was hoping for some advice from here.

I recently purchased a i3-4130 with a ASRock H87M Pro4 LGA 1150 Motherboard and 8GB of RAM. Originally I bought this to build a small Storage server with 5x2TB drives.

My current desktop I use for gaming and browsing is a AMD Phenom II x4 965 with a Gigabyte GA-790XT and 8GB of RAM. The video card is a AMD Radeon HD 5770.

My question is, should I keep the i3 for a storage server or should I use the i3 for gaming and then use the AMD for the storage server? I know the video card is a little dated, but would I see much performance gains moving to a new CPU and Motherboard?

Thank you for your time

The i3 would probably be faster. Can you return the i3 and pick up a quad i5?

i3 would be not too much difference if your game can utilize more than two cores, quad core x4 965 is faster when all four cores working together, if game uses only two cores i3 will be much faster.

The Phenom is less suited as a 24/7 file server because it will generally use more power and create more heat than the 4130, which, in contrast, could probably be passively cooled, depending on the load.

Hello,

Thank you for the replies. Returning the i3 is not an option as an i5 would push me past my budget. I think I will keep the i3 as my file server due to heat and power issues. Then upgrade to an i5 later down the road.

Thank You
Ivan

quad core x4 965 is faster when all four cores working together,

Hmm. Is the 965 faster than the i3-4130 in 4 threaded applications when not overclocked? I am not so sure the result would be black and white.

Back