Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
what resolution do you play at?
it could if your playing 1680 x 1050 or lower, you would be more CPU bound then vid card bound, if your cranking it upto 1920+ you should be be fine.
what games?
I wouldnt think it would bottleneck but saving for a upgrade in the future might not be a bad idea. It would let that 5870 run a little more free.
just to clear up a couple things i dont have the card yet so i cant really test anything im getting it in a couple days along with some other stuff.
4gb of ddr2 800
750w psu
5870
antec 1200
also i was thinking about getting a 5850, but im real bad on wanting a lifetime warranty. the XFX 5850 is 350 and the XFX5870 is 399 so why not get the 5870.
I have a Pentium D 820 running at the stock 2.8ghz. I just recently bought a PCI-E PNY XLR8 Nvidia 250. I'm not sure exactly where I hit the ceiling but I know I do. A friend of mine has a Q6600 stock speed and using my card and me using his Nvidia 260 he gets much better framerates then I do.
Easy way to tell.
Get the card and monitor CPU use.
If it regularly stays between 90 to 100% occupancy an ANY core, the CPU is slowing the gfx card down.
There is another caveat though, while a component can drag down the framerate, it doesnt matter if the framerate is high enough.
So if you dont notice any slow down then it doesnt matter if there is a bottleneck.
Test and ye shall find![]()
yea i was planning on getting a Q9550 later on but it was ether the Q9550 now or a 5870.
Your pseudo-test really won't tell you anything other than the CPU is being loaded. It won't be an indication *at all* of whether the CPU or GPU is the bottleneck.
How so?
Thats a standard test to see if the CPU is bottlenecking and it does indeed show if the CPU is bottlenecking.
If so, higher frequency will help all games and more cores will help quite a few.
A reduction in frequency to gain more cores (ie moving to a 3GHz quad) will hurt those games that dont use more than 2 cores.
Its not a full test suite but at least it gets the troubleshooting process started!
Bizarre, it works very well.
Does it? So far you've only cited two anecdotes, neither of which actually support your theory as you didn't follow up to determine if your hypothesis was correct.
Anecdotes?
For example, playing Dragon Age or Dirt 2, my CPU is running 100% while my GPUs are running at 35% in Dragon Age and 70% in Dirt 2.
I already explained that its a great way to see if the CPU needs upgrading, its not hard to follow.
Works very well in practice too, hasnt failed me
Slow your CPU down until it shows 100% CPU use while gaming and you will start to see your framerate drop.
Now speed up the CPU, amazingly, the framerate increases until the CPU isnt the bottleneck any more!
holy cow what a bottleneck. even the lower end core 2 duos are twice as fast clock for clock as a Pentium D. that means my E8500 would still be much faster than your 2.8 Pentium D even if I lowered it to 1.4. your are literally pissing away about half of what even a decent mid range card is capable of.I have a Pentium D 820 running at the stock 2.8ghz. I just recently bought a PCI-E PNY XLR8 Nvidia 250. I'm not sure exactly where I hit the ceiling but I know I do. A friend of mine has a Q6600 stock speed and using my card and me using his Nvidia 260 he gets much better framerates then I do.
Yes, anecdotes.
And my point is that your "test" is fundamentally flawed. You are spreading something that you *believe* to be true but simply isn't, which is bad. Not only that, but games can be CPU limited *long* before they hit 100% CPU usage (hell, on my i7 I can be CPU limited at ~13% CPU usage)
Given that there are much, *much* better ways of telling if you are CPU limited quite easily, spreading a flawed method is a waste of everyone's time.
As stated it works well for games, so if testing while gaming, the results are true.
It has been my assumption that the op cares about this, not wild uses of the processor that give it a 13% max load![]()
I agree in principal but in practice, it isnt what I have found.
I test with many games (and benchmarks to verify it is performing as expected) to make sure that the results are not isolated to just one game as theres not a lot of point in upgrading for just one game.
Try it for yourself, pick a game.
Reduce your CPU speed until at least one core is running at 100% and monitor framerate.
You will find that framerate starts to reduce the slower you make the CPU run.
If your case is true, there will be games that do not reduce framerate when a core is at 100% and you reduce CPU speed further.
Report the results and which game you used please.