CPU bottleneck

Weenis

I said WEENIS, not...
I've noticed my r9 290x powers through some games and stalls pretty badly on others. Now I know there are some fan issues with them clocking themselves back. But I'm wondering if I have some bottlenecking in my CPU/mobo.

Specifically the PCIe lanes.. I have the gigabyte sniper z77 (mATX) board and a 3570k i5. I'm wondering if they could be holding me back any significant amount?

absolutely not.... you are fine, where did you find or who tell you anything about problem with your PCI-e Lanes?.. if you have single 290X then the card are running alone at PCI-E 3.0 x16.. you could only have one kind of problem if you were with a PCI-e 2.0 processor in a non PLX chip support in the motherboard running 3 cards in SLI or Xfire because in that case at PCI-e 2.0 x4 - x4 - x4 will hurt seriously the bandwidth, you have nothing to worry about.. your CPU and even an older 2500K still have plenty of power to fed the strongest card in the market do not worry in that aspect.. if you have a reference 290X then you only worries should be, a good case with amazing airflow and keep the card in uber mode or override a custom fan profile that allow the card keep for more time the clockrate...

actually are only 1 game that I can think may cause a CPU bottleneck with a 3570K and its crysis 3, just because the game run flawlessly with more cores and threads, and the difference of performance between a 3770K and a 3570 its BIG.. but thats the only one.. the rest 99.99% you are fine.. also if you specify in what games you have those issue we can inquire a bit more those specific games, i can also tell you that regardless temperature 290, and 290X underclock by limit utilization and by TPD target.. so are others 2 things to check..

I think it's primarily the 290 clocking itself back, I had read that pci lanes where 8x was present would be 2-3% slower than 16x lanes. I did a bit more digging and found I had 16x lanes on my mobo.

The issue presents itself primarily in Arma 3 (which is cpu dependent) and the alpha of star citizen (which runs on the cryengine.. though it is alpha I suspect the cpu may be limiting me there, but that's not an issue as of yet).

I feel like the 290 should just perform better. I run in an mATX case so it is pretty tight, but my temps are usually fine.. though I noticed the 290 clocks down to 300mhz when it is not heavily in use.. I need to find a way to monitor it while it is being taxed without alt tabbing and watching it drop.

try with the MSI Afterburner OSD you can monitor in real time the clocks and also make a log file.. with Afterburner are installed another 3rd party called RivaTuner RTSS, with that and HwInfo32 or HWinfo64 you will be able to monitor in real time the CPU frequency and usage per core.. its just a thing of google a bit.. =).. but yes.. those 290/290X require big cases with great airflow or instead any aftermarket solution..

there are another little app out there from W1Zzard (TechPowerUP) if i can remember it right its called "TechPowerUP OSD" that can be used to monitoring inGame/inApps all about FPS, CPU Frequency, voltages etc..

Preprogrammed fan speed curves are biased toward noise reduction, so making your own fan speed curve can help. Running the fan flat out 100% for testing can help reveal if a better cooling solution would help matters.

Back