First off I'll start by saying that my knowledge of computer hardware is sort of outdated, but I've been trying to do some catching up lately as I'm building a new system.
My understanding is:
- 3 channel RAM is for 6 core processors
- 2 channel RAM is for 2 or 4 core processors
- 6 core processors have a maximum memory bandwidth of 25.6 (or something gB/s)
- 4 core processors have a maximum memory bandwidth of 21.3 (or so gB/s)
- 3 channel at DDR1066 saturates the FSB (or whatever it's called now)
- 2 channel at DDR1333 "
Am I correct?
If I am, is there any point in having RAM faster than 1333 with an i5 2500k?
If I'm not, could you explain where I'm wrong?
My understanding is:
- 3 channel RAM is for 6 core processors
- 2 channel RAM is for 2 or 4 core processors
- 6 core processors have a maximum memory bandwidth of 25.6 (or something gB/s)
- 4 core processors have a maximum memory bandwidth of 21.3 (or so gB/s)
- 3 channel at DDR1066 saturates the FSB (or whatever it's called now)
- 2 channel at DDR1333 "
Am I correct?
If I am, is there any point in having RAM faster than 1333 with an i5 2500k?
If I'm not, could you explain where I'm wrong?