• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CPU and Heatsink Lapping

Juggafat

Gawd
Joined
Aug 18, 2008
Messages
640
I want to lap my cpu and heatsink. My first question is I have a Xigmatek rifle cooler where the heat pipes are integrated into the contact base of the heatsink.....can i still lap this this heatsink? All of the lapped heatsinks ive seen have a one piece contact base...with the integrated heat pipes its not really even.

And if i cant lap that kind of heatsink would i see any benefits from only lapping my cpu and not my heatsink?
 
Do you need to lap the heatsink? Is it not flat? Don't lap it just 'cause it sounds like a good idea.

If it's already flat, you don't need to lap it. The same goes for the CPU, don't lap it unless it's not flat.

BTW, that link showing someone polishing his HSF to a mirror finish is an example of someone suffering from OCD.
 
Yes you can...But at your own risk, you are removing metal from the base to make it flat, if the heat pipes have a very thin wall or your base is really out and you remove to much you could cause a leak and ruin your heatsink. Maybe call up the manufacture and ask about lapping it or the wall thickness of the heat pipes etc to get a better idea?
 
I've lapped a OCZ Vendetta, which has exposed heatpipes as well. I lapped it like any other heatsink except for one thing. I did not do a figure 8 motion, I just slid it back and forth so that the aluminum bits that were being sanded off did not come into contact with the copper. I don't know if it's important but it worked fine in the end.

Anyway, unless your base isn't making proper contact, don't do it.
 
OCD=OverClocker Disorder?

that is some funny shit.

i want to lap to reduce temps as much as possible. i'm looking for some high OC's without water cooling. I see alot of vids where they show a lapped heatsink creating a vacuum in between a lapped CPU...like they can pick the cpu up with the heatsink like the heatsink's base is sticky. I was just wondering if just lapping the CPU would have any effect on cooling.
 
Only you can truly tell my looking at the contact patch of your cpu and cooler. This is done by mounting the cooler to the mobo/cpu as you normally would and then removing it to look at the contact patch. Take a pic and post it here or determine yourself if it's evenly spread out and that your heatpipes are properly touching the CPU.
 
You can do a simple test with a straightedge. You want something that's guaranteed straight to a significant degree. I've used an engineer's square - showed my E6600 was flat but the Q6600 was definitely not.

Contact patch as described above is the ultimate test, but can be done wrong. If you glop on a lot of compound, you won't be able to tell the true patch from a contact made momentarily during mounting. You should ensure that for the test you smear on a really, really thin layer of compound to only one side - HS or CPU, your choice.

I still say there's no point in lapping if the HSF and CPU are already flat and fairly smooth. All you'll do is remove material without changing anything. I really doubt you can measure a meaningful difference between a 1500 grit polish and a gazzillion grit mirror finish.
 
Thanks guys! Coincidentally I'm an engineering major and have an engineering square...I will check it out.
 
Back
Top