• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CPU and GPU Matching (intel & Nvidia / amd & ati)

DarkSamurai2003

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 16, 2003
Messages
270
If I remember correctly Intel processors match well with NVidia graphics cards and AMD processors match well with ATi graphics cards.

My friends don't believe me, and think I'm blowing smoke out of my ass. Are there any links or such to prove such? I've found a couple from back in 1999-2000 but I need recent stuff.

Any recent stuff?

http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/press/1999/4218.html

Press Release - Archives 1999
ATI optimized software drivers deliver high performance for New Seventh-Generation AMD Athlon™ processor
 
7th generation CPU's would be the K7 (AXP), A64's are K8, 8th generation.
 
uh... i dont think youre looking at it in the right light.

Which runs better with which is hardly a consideration when it's overall performance that matters
 
Rhetoric said:
Well....AMD+nVidia combos are pretty popular nowadays.
Maybe it's cuz we're brothers and we've both had the same experiences, but yeah... I'm certainly not complaining about my Geforce 6600GT and A64 3000+. :-D
 
I hear that red wine and red meat compliment each other... white wine and poultry also. ...but I think that rumor about the Nvidia + Intel ATi + AMD makes the best combos is a thing of the past... way past... and I think it was just "lore" back then also... maybe... might have had to do with MMX or SSE stuffs...
 
Menelmarar said:
Where's the Pentium 5(Conroe) + ATI/nVidia(whichever is on top at the time) listing.... :(
Not next year.

To the OP - nope, you are crazy. No CPU + GPU combos matter. CURRENT gossip on the street is that chipset combos matter (IE., nForce mobo with nVidia card, Xpress200 mobo with ATI card, etc)....but that may be just because of a couple non-issues:

* Early speculation that SLI/Crossfire would only work on the appropriate (matching) motherboard.
* The performance boost the nForce3 chipset gave to GeForceFX cards. (But Tech Report's testing proved that it did NOT penalize ATI cards...they performed just the same on nForce3 as on VIA or any other chipset...it just gave a boost to the FX series)
 
dderidex said:
Not next year.

To the OP - nope, you are crazy. No CPU + GPU combos matter. CURRENT gossip on the street is that chipset combos matter (IE., nForce mobo with nVidia card, Xpress200 mobo with ATI card, etc)....but that may be just because of a couple non-issues:

* Early speculation that SLI/Crossfire would only work on the appropriate (matching) motherboard.
* The performance boost the nForce3 chipset gave to GeForceFX cards. (But Tech Report's testing proved that it did NOT penalize ATI cards...they performed just the same on nForce3 as on VIA or any other chipset...it just gave a boost to the FX series)
huh? hiding under a rock much? Everything I've seen lately has Intel claiming that Conroe is coming out in 2H of 2006.

some links from [H] archive:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/editorial/display/idf-f2005_3.html
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/08/23/intel_processors_conroe/
 
Back
Top