cpu air duct ideas

o0akoni0o

[H]ard|Gawd
well my buddy wants me to mod his sonata for some better cooling and i was thinking a cpu air duct would be a good start. anyways, he already has an xp-90 with a 92mm fan (don't know the brand). i've been reading up and found out that the duct should only lead up to the hsf and not surround it. so should it be able to touch the fan on the heatsink or not? also i've read that have a funnel design is best, like 120mm hole to 92 mm fan, having said that what would be the best material to use for the duct? also is an extra fan necessary to bring in more air or would a duct be enough?

Hmmm, people use those garbage bag type like tubes that are pretty large, but often they look really out of place. I wouldn't use a CPU duct though. I'd just place a fan on the side of the case (not a very powerful one), and just have it blow fresh air onto the CPU's HSF. Or, if you want to get tricky and technical. You could put a fan on the side of the case, and then have a peice of thin plastic pipe (big of course) running to the HSF, so its guaranteed to get some fresh air.

large variety of PVC and ABS sprinkler and sewage fittings that would make a good base -

gigint.jpg

the upturned duct in that pic is made from a 3"-dia. ABS 45-degree black-pipe / sewer coupling. One collar cut off, the lip shaved to a sharpened edge. It's then painted with a good hobby paint to simulate chrome.

There are lots of ways and placements to put such a duct, even adding it directly to the side cover so it hangs directly above the HSF.

my plan was to place the duct on the side and have some sort of plastic fitting from the outside that would flex onto and over the cpu fan (since the size of and xp-90 and the handle thingy on the case won't allow me to put it directly over). anyways, how would this affect overall case flow? i have high cfm 120mm fans being placed as an intake an exhaust and another fan (not sure what size) as a blowhole. plus some dremelling will commence to take out the restrictive parts of the case.

Back