• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CPU abuse with thermal paste.

avey

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
106
I work for my company doing desktop support. A few weeks ago a Shuttle PC came across my desk. My company uses these boxes to demo our products.

The department that buys and builds these boxes are basically sales guys. IT ends up having to support them when they screw it up. Issue had to do with some rough treatment of the box during shipping. Basically the frame was a little bent up but not bad. Just needed to be taken apart and straitened out.

So I took it apart and found this when removing the HS/Fan: :eek:


Now I should have known there was something wrong when I first opened the case up and found white smudges all over the place. Who ever installed this thing had to have used the entire tube of thermal paste. It was a real pain to get it all cleaned off. The cpu came out glued to the HS/Fan when I removed it.

After cleaning:


Was a nice little system. P4 3.0GHz 2GB ram. I reinstalled it with the proper amount of thermal paste. Felt bad that I had to return it to its abusive owner lol. But was good for a laugh.

 
Oh boy...I'm glad you took care of that little baby, it deserves better.

Looks like someone confused applying thermal paste with frosting a cupcake. :)
 
Thats why a strong IT manager will put a stop to anyone other then qualified depaetment people or consultants from doing this work.

Shame on sales, shame on that IT manager....
 
Damn shame, especially seeing as that CPU should overclock pretty decently- it's a 30-capper! I tell you, some people just don't deserve computers.

Any way you can... um... swap it out? :p
 
mavalpha said:
Any way you can... um... swap it out? :p

lol Ya I wish. To bad they would notice. The software we make is prety demanding. It's really suposed to run on server grade hardware.
 
Back
Top