Cox Quietly Reduces Data Cap From 2TB Down To 1TB

I'm paying ~$75 for 150Mbps. What's normal these days?

i was getting 20+mb/s with comcast, it was around $80, 2yr trial or maybe 1yr, dont remember exactly anymore,, but they became unreliable after they switched to docsis3(at least at my house)

My experience with Cox in Rhode Island:

1. Not always competitively priced with FIOS, the only other choice at my location, but close. DSL is still offered in RI, but not my street. I wouldn't give Verizon a penny of my money even if it was, after a bad experience with them years ago.

2. Did not raise my Internet cost when I dropped cable TV in 2009.

3. Purchased my modem from them 25 years ago when I first signed up for service. They have upgraded it with no charges each time a DOCSIS change occurred.

4. Whenever I had a problem, customer service both on the phone and at my house was excellent.

5. Speed increases have occurred with no price increase. Upload speed recently increased by almost 300 %.

6. Even though its just a soft one, the cap has always been too low, although they have increased it a few times over the years.

7. This latest change in cap is undoubtedly to stay abreast with Comcast nationwide. While it may have been a decrease for the highest tier services, it was an increase for everyone else, mine going from a paltry 250 GB to 1 TB.

I know others have had different experiences with them. While Comcast seems to be universally hated wherever they go, opinions of Cox tend to vary from place to place. .

How is that even possible? Are you telling me that you can't choose between several companies no matter where you live? I can choose between a dozen different companies all around the country. Sure some companies have better reception in some areas compared to the others, but exceptions aside we choose based on price and service. If companies do not compete with each other, why isn't any antitrust going on?

They do this where I live in the bay area. ATT services the street next to me but not my place/street, but comcast services my area. Of course the next street doesn't have comcast but has ATT. Deliberately not competing I figured is pretty common. Of course ATT has 20mbps for $50 bucks while comcast offers 75mbps for $70. It's pretty bad.

Too bad that companies like Comcast and Cox don't ever have to actually compete against each other. That might actually motivate one of them to provide service that is better than the other. People who didn't like the 1TB limit on Comcast could have switched to Cox. Since that is not an option, they might as well just follow Comcast's lead :rolleyes:
Where I used to live everyone either had Cox or Comcast based on how those companies had divided up the county. It allowed them to pretend to compete while never really innovating until another company came along in their footprint (in my case it was Verizon FiOS).

150/10 here with Cox.
With the upgraded cap, we shouldn't go over as much,
View attachment 8942

Lcw9b3U.png

Data caps are a dick move and should be illegal.

Back