Cox Data Usage Overlimit

solaris54

2[H]4U
Just wondering if anyone else has been getting warning letters from Cox internet on being
over the limit on data usage for the billing cycle. I have been getting these warning emails almost every month.

We are allowed 300gb on our current plan and are at 607gb at the end of our billing cycle.
Even if I move up to the top plan it only gives me 400gb.

We have 5 people living in the house using the internet with games Netflix etc.

Our internet seemed slow this weekend. Are they throttling down the speeds on me?
After I rebooted the modem and router it seemed fine.

Put the Modem in reverse for a few hours of a night, give them some of their data back.... you know!? like in Ferris Buellers Day Off! Ferrari California style!! just don`t kick it off the table when it doesn`t work!;):D

Even with Netflix and gaming, that is an incredible amount of data for home users. That's an average of 20GB per day. I would scale back on the downloads, and ask the roommates to do the same.

Even with Netflix and gaming, that is an incredible amount of data for home users. That's an average of 20GB per day. I would scale back on the downloads, and ask the roommates to do the same.

I believe that translates to 2.3 imperial shit-tonnes of data, and the reason those caps exist in the first place.

Some suggestions:
1- Since Its Netgear router, make sure traffic meter feature is turn on(so you can compare usage to what isp claims)
2- Check attach devices, to make sure no one in your area is using your WiFi without your knowledge.
3- Check security settings, change passwords(make it more complex)

Some suggestions:
1- Since Its Netgear router, make sure traffic meter feature is turn on(so you can compare usage to what isp claims)
2- Check attach devices, to make sure no one in your area is using your WiFi without your knowledge.
3- Check security settings, change passwords(make it more complex)

Ok thanks for the suggestions. I will check it out.

I believe that translates to 2.3 imperial shit-tonnes of data, and the reason those caps exist in the first place.

Caps exist because people are gullible and like scapegoats. Capping total data consumed does nothing to stop the real issue, which is lack of bandwidth during peak hours (i.e the cheap ISPs are selling more capacity than they have).

That does seem like a lot of data, I would make sure I had something on my end measuring as well, just to keep them honest. My PfSense box does a pretty good job of it, but that might be overkill for this situation. Also, if you are seeing that much total usage, your internet connection may have seemed slow because something or someone was saturating the pipe. Resetting the modem could have terminated whatever connection was using all the bandwidth, making the speed seem to go back up.

Back