Court Orders Google To Reveal Avengers Trailer Leaker

HardOCP News

[H] News
And when they find the dastardly villain that leaked the Avengers 2 trailer....we want to buy that guy a beer!

“YOU ARE COMMANDED to produce at the time, date, and place set forth below the following documents, electronically stored information, or objects, and to permit inspection, copying, testing, or sampling of the material,” Google was told yesterday (read it here). This comes a day after Marvel requested a far-reaching subpoena to probe the October 22 leak.

Don't the courts system have real problems to go after?

*Onoz, someone leaked our movie trailer.....

The comic book industry is way too corrupted and powerful for its own good. After generations of brainwashing little boys, they're making their end game moves now to bring you all into the darkness and bind you.

Or something...it sounds awesome either way and yeah, whatever, who cares about people in brightly colored spandex suits?

It's good that we have cured cancer and ended world hunger so that we can waste time and money looking for that bandit that posted a movie trailer. I hope that bastard gets the chair. We can't have movie trailer leakers out in the general population.

Hail HYDRA!

LOL, it would be cooler if Google blamed them for it. Seriously, do they think Google has hundreds of flesh and blood interns that run around passing handwritten notes to the Search Engine guy and then store those details FOR ETERNITY?

Over a movie trailer? Oh no, where will we ever make up our fictional loss?

That leak and subsequent "Hail HYDRA" tweet and releasing it early did tons for their publicity. It was a perfect PR way of handling things. Now.... I'm unimpressed.

Sure, the leaking was bad, but they initially handled it poorly. If it was internal (or a partner), go for the guy. If it was someone else that happened across it prematurely? Fuck it. Let it go. I do fail to see who was harmed in this. Zero lost profits.

Missed this part.

“permit entry onto the designated premises, land, or other property possessed or controlled by you at the time, date, and location set forth.”

They requested that? It's not like Google's data is stored on some secretary's PC. We're talking massive data centers all over the world. Hell .. I live across the street from four (they host Google). That's an absurd request.

Why are they upset that someone leaked a trailer video and got everyone excited? HOW DARE THEY!

It is neither absurd nor unreasonable.

First I like how they make a big deal of the word "Commanded", this is actual textbook normal for any sobpoena;
http://www.uscourts.gov/uscourts/FormsAndFees/Forms/AO088A.pdf

The Subpoena demands access to a specific facility, not every facility, in fact, the wording is as thus;

~Production: YOU ARE COMMANDED to produce at the time, date, and place set forth below ....

Place:
Latham & Watkins LLP
505 Montgomery Street, Suite 2000
San Francisco, California, 94 fl1-6538

Date and Time
November 18, 2014 at 10:00AM

Latham & Watkins is a big time Internal law firm that Marvel used to get the Subpoena and take their civil case so the subpoena demands Google bring the shit to the lawyer's business offices for inspection.

There is no X in the box for the "You are COMMANDED to permit entry" part of the subpoena :D

You gota read these things properly.

The Criminal Courts do but this is a Civil Action meaning law suite, money, the other white business.

Over a movie trailer? Oh no, where will we ever make up our fictional loss?

Hey, when I plan a big party and invite the important people I don't want some schmoe who works for me spoiling my big surprise and when I catch him I am going to suite his ass and THEN I'm going to fire his ass. :cool:

Leaks can only come from within. Instead of going after Google, they should worry about what happens inside their own walls instead.

Leaks can only come from within. Instead of going after Google, they should worry about what happens inside their own walls instead.

My guess is that this is what it's all really about. They want to see how and where it got loaded to help figure out how it got out in the first place.

I wasn't aware they sold trailers. Not sure how this falls under federal law. I mean what exactly are they claiming the "damages" are here. With the logic that sends has this junk wasting a federal courts resources. I would say considering the leek has created more press for them then they would have gotten anyway. The "guilty" party should step forward and present Marvel with a bill for the marketing work. Seems only logical if you can compel this type of information over a non commercial trailer.

Then again perhaps Marvel was planning to sell it to some video site as an exclusive. Considering we all know that is standard practice these days I so many trailers get leaked in the future that it isn't even news. lol

You know I'm not going to blame the people "who got robbed" but ... I'm blaming those who got robbed. You can't have sneak previews of a trailer, at some convention or something and NOT expect everyone and their grandmothers to pull out a cell phone (even if they ask you not to) and post it all over Youtube. Just like Hollywood can't expect to send out thousands of free copies of movies before they come out just so they can get the word of mouth ad campaign going, and not expect any of that shit to get leaked.

I'm curious though, Marvel/Disney went crazy serving DMCA notices and using auto-take downs to get it off the internet as fast as they could (but no one is fast enough). Yet the actual trailer came out a day later. Was it planning on coming out? Were they really that upset that an ad was viewable less than 24 hours earlier?

I don't even know why the fuck they care when a trailer leaks. Just release the Batman v. Superman tease already.

It's good that we have cured cancer and ended world hunger so that we can waste time and money looking for that bandit that posted a movie trailer. I hope that bastard gets the chair. We can't have movie trailer leakers out in the general population.

So if somebody steals your shit we can't look for them until cancer is cured and world hunger is solved? Interesting.

It's very important that we prevent this from happening. Because with this critical information, another company could now release an Avengers 2 before this studio finishes. And they would have no way to stop this!

Back