Couple questions

Bomber

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm considering getting an Audigy 2 ZS for my htpc. Looked at overall options and it looks to be the best for x.1 sound. Opinions?

I'm also considering speakers. Gonna toss the old receiver (dobly pro-logic) and get some great multimedia speakers instead. I'm probably going to take the plunge and get Klipsh 5.1 ultra. Are they worth the $100 more than the Logitech z680's?

Thanks for any help. Haven't bought a soundcard or speakers in 2 years. (Live! and ATP-3 on the desktop going strong)

Ive got the Audigy2 ZS Platinum...

Its really good for games, and movies, music too.

Most of your decisions depend on how picky a listener you are. If you are satisfied with good loud theater type sound, get the 680's. If you want a more tuned sound, for 'more accurate' listening, for classical, jazz, rather than blow-your-socks-off loud, get the Klipsch.

If you are just using this for Movies, TV, and mp3s, I'd go with the 680's and save some cash. I use the 680's on my setup, and they're good enough for what I need. I took the extra $100 I saved, and got a good pair of headphones.

The ProM's are better speakers, but you'd have to listen subjectively yourself to determine if they are worth the $100 extra.

Another thing to point out is that if you do get the Audigy2 ZS, and the 680's, the Dolby/DTS decoder on the 680's essentially will become worthless, since the Audigy2 Hardware decoding of DD/DTS is much better than the external decoding of the 680 pod.

That said, dont let the decoder of the 680's sway your decision, it becomes a mute point, if you are getting a A2 ZS. Since the klipsch doesnt have decoding, they might seem 'less flexible', but you really wont need the decoding if you buy a high-end soundcard.

HTPC? You should at least give consideration to the M-Audio Revolution. Bass management is a good thing.

Originally posted by nullvector
Ive got the Audigy2 ZS Platinum...

That said, dont let the decoder of the 680's sway your decision, it becomes a mute point, if you are getting a A2 ZS. Since the klipsch doesnt have decoding, they might seem 'less flexible', but you really wont need the decoding if you buy a high-end soundcard.

Thanks for the reply. I do appreciate a more well rounded sound instead of a bass heavy sound. I'd rather spend time tweaking speaker position than playing with the sound settings. I may go for the 680's based on cost (and what the wife says of course). Guess I'll go play with them again.

Originally posted by GodsMadClown
HTPC? You should at least give consideration to the M-Audio Revolution. Bass management is a good thing.

Why? Audigy has tons of sound options. What makes Revolution better?

edit: Especially since its CPU usage is higher...

Better sound. Better Bass management. Circle Surround II. Freedom from Creative driverbloat. CPU usage is just fine for HTPC uses. Gaming might cause some difficulties, but for music and DVD use, the Revolution is far and away the best consumer-level soud card out there.

Far and away? I've heard the audiotrak prodigy's about the same thing except newer and with better drivers.

Back