Couple questions about the SG-01..

jlee24219

n00b
Ive been searching through the forums here for a while gathering info abouthe the ss sg-01 and the q-pack. Ive decided that the look of the sg-01 is for me, however i've read alot about the psu being over the heatsink and this causing problems.

I want to use an Antec Neo 480, it has a large 120mm bottom fan, What heatsink would work best with the airflow of this psu (for a socket 754/939)?

Also, will I be able to use a larger dvd-r drive such as the NEC-3510A in the sg-01 with that antec psu or is the case to short?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums.

I just built my SG01-based SFF last night, and I ultimately went with the Zalman 7700Cu heatsink. It leaves a good 15-18 cm of clearance between the top of the heatsink and the PSU (I also have a PSU with a 120mm bottom intake fan), and since the Zalman's fan is itself 120 mm, plus recessed into the heatsink, it seems to be working fine (after playing a game, my cpu's temp was between 46-48 C).

I have the NEC 3550 drive, which is rather large itself (probably the same size as yours), and the PSU and it fit just fine, although a bit tight. I'll try to take pictures tomorrow for you, since my system is going to look rather identical to yours in the end.

Also, one suggestion - if you put a fan in the top spot of the case, make sure it's a low dB one - I went for a 23cfm, 30dba fan thinking it wouldn't be that loud, and yeah, my system sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

ya 30dba might not b bad for a normal computer, but thats underneath your desk or something like that. a sff is most likely going to be on the table, so its much less muffled by the table :p

and the sg-01 doesn't have the problem that the qpack does w/ optical drives and psu's; use whatever you want. i dont know about the psu / hsf issue though.

Soymilk said:
ya 30dba might not b bad for a normal computer, but thats underneath your desk or something like that. a sff is most likely going to be on the table, so its much less muffled by the table :p

and the sg-01 doesn't have the problem that the qpack does w/ optical drives and psu's; use whatever you want. i dont know about the psu / hsf issue though.

The worst thing is, it's a trade-off. I can either put high-speed, but high-noise, fans in it, which causes the cooling to be better, but sounds louder. Or I can put slower, lower-noise fans, but temps. go up. So yeah. :/

The good news is, I have a 80mm, Antec fan that's 30 dB on the side, near the HDs, but it seems to be putting off no noise by comparison. Only that top 60mm fan (and I think it's because there's a slight space between the top of the case and airholes, and the fan itself. If you press the case top down to where it's flush with the fan, it makes half the noise :p

Thanks for the welcome and the quick responses. I'm glad to hear I can use a full optical drive with the psu. About the heatsink, I had been looking at those. Is there a major difference in the aluminum/cu one or should i just get the pure cu. Seemingly the al/cu would cut down on the weight alot, but at the cost of cooling?

Most people are reporting lower temps with the all copper 7700.
Here is a pic my Zalman 7700 and Neo480 in my SG01.
With the case cover on my temps in the SG01 with a Venice core 3000+ are 26°C idle / 35°C load.

IMG_0323.jpg

Can anyone tell me if Tforce 6100 939 m/b with Zalman 7700 will fit in SG01?

Thanks!

Jalum said:
Can anyone tell me if Tforce 6100 939 m/b with Zalman 7700 will fit in SG01?

Thanks!

Just look at the pic above your post. Biostar 6100 939 TForce. Fits like a glove

Back