Couple of SMP Client Questions

nomad8u

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2008
I've been running a couple of the standard console clients for several weeks now, and have been reading up on all the different options for running the SMP client (VMWare, native Windows, problems, workarounds etc.) and have a couple of questions before taking the plunge.

I'll be installing a single SMP client on the E4300 in my sig, but will be dropping in a Q6600 probably next week to replace the E4300. I've snagged VMWare Server, and the CentOS dvd iso with the intent of setting up either 2 VMs (using Tigerbitens' guide) with 1 each nix client or 1 VM and 1 native SMP client (since this is my email/surfing etc. box.)

Basically, I'm just planning to setup the native Windows SMP client on the E4300 now for familiarization and testing (as the E4300 will become a dedicated folder at some point) and will be waiting to install/setup VMWare until I drop the quad in, as the E4300 doesn't do VT, and I'm not sure if installing and setting up a Linux VM then dropping in a different CPU would screw up the setup. I'm also trying to minimize my downtime/ get it up and crunching time when I drop in the quad.

So that's the general direction I'm heading (if anyone has any suggestions from a productivity standpoint, fire away), now on with the Q&A.

1. Are the flags/switches the same between the console client and SMP client? (-config -configonly -oneunit etc)

2. Provided all WU's are completed and uploaded (and the work folder scrubbed) on the SMP client, do you see any problem or need to reinstall the client after dropping in a quad? I'm assuming the client looks at the CPU/feature set each time it starts.

3. Any preference for the 5.91 or 5.92 client?

4. I use the backup batch file per Killer[MoB]'s post to backup my work folders before Ctrl-C'ing my console clients. Is there a way to do this in the Linux VM? If samba shares are installed (so I can monitor with FAHSpy) can I just use Windows File Manager to back it up to a "host' folder, or how is this handled in the VM?

5. I have no unix knowledge, so am unsure of how to stop the client there if necessary. How is that handled?

6. Other than setting up the loopback adapter per Killer[MoB]'s post is there anything obvious I'm overlooking to have a [H]appy and stable SMP setup?

Questions 5 and 6 are asked with awareness of the tight deadlines on the SMP WU's. I'm just trying to get my Ape's lined up so I don't bork any WU's needlessly through lack of preparation....

0.png

1. Yes.

2. If you don't re-install your OS, there is no need to alter/scrub anything.
It will just pick up where you left off.

3. I run 5.91 inside all my VM's.
I think without the advanced methods flag it gives me a slightly better PpD.

4. No real need.
The Linux SMP client is more stable than the Windoze one.
Being inside the VM means the client is independent fron the external network.
You only run 1 client inside the VM so shutting down is safe.
I tend to just shut the VM down and let that kill the client.

5. Look up Finstall.
Once you have your Linux OS running, use Finstall to install the client.
Then just set it as a service with ./installService so it start with boot.
You can stop and start the service with ./folding stop & ./folding start.
Its that easy.

6. Not really.
XP is fairly easy to install the SMP client on, but Vista can be a bit of a pain.

Luck ............ :D

SWEEEEEET. It sounds easy breezy. Can't wait to get the quad up and crunching.

Thanks Tigerbitten.

0.png

Back