Couple of config problems with AD on Server 2003

jdub12

Limp Gawd
Hello,

I am trying to set up a local domain for a few computers I have at my house. I have it configured so that my clients can connect and join the domain, they can go on the internet and access all resources on the server. I do however run into one problem when browsing the web from the domain controller or client machines.

For some reason, they are having a delay when browsing sites for the first time. Whenever I go to say HP.com, there will be a like a 5-10 second delay before the page loads, then from that point on, any link from within that domain show up without much lag. I am lead to believe that the problem lies within the dns settings somewhere, but in not sure. So far, my settings are as follows, maybe someone can find the problem.

Server IP Configuration Settings:
Static IP - 192.168.1.103
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
Gateway - 192.168.1.1 (router)
DNS Servers - 192.168.1.1
Order of DNS Servers - 192.168.1.103 & 192.168.1.1

DHCP Settings:
Leased addresses - 192.168.1.60-70

Now, I think that the DNS settings are setup ok, but should I have it set up to route to my ISP DNS server rather than 192.168.1.1 or is the gateway/router address sufficient?

Unless your router is more sophisticated than I give it credit for, then you don't want DNS to point at it at all.

Have your server and clients point at your server for DNS, then make sure root hints are enabled. The DNS server service will be authoritative for your internal domain and resolve names from its own database, and for external Internet names it will use the Internet's master name servers to perform lookups. Your server will also cache those lookups, so DNS lookup will be virtually instantaneous after you get a good cache built up. It's the only way to fly. Once again, have all of your boxes (including the server itself) point to your DC for DNS, and the DNS server service will take care of the rest.

I guess now my question is, how does the DNS server know whether the address is internal or external on the Internet? I cant remember if I set up something to let it know where to look, but it works...just not sure why. lol, can you explain it?

I also have another problem that I am running into, I am trying to install software to computers via the Group Policy, however when I add a package, it tells me that it cannot find the network share. Now I have a file server role configured and I created a shared folder in there. I am adding the package from that shared folder. I set the permissions on that folder and I also tried creating a folder manually and setting share permisions and adding a package from that folder however I still get the same error message. Any clues as to why this is happening? Thanks

A 2003 guru will have to answer your software deployment question, as my knowledge is on 2000. As for why DNS simply 'works,' every DNS server comes pre configured with a list of root hints, the addresses of the servers that are authoritative for the root (.) domain. If a domain name that is requested is not stored in a local zone or the AD database, then the server queries one of the root servers to resolve the name.

jdub12 said:
I also have another problem that I am running into, I am trying to install software to computers via the Group Policy, however when I add a package, it tells me that it cannot find the network share. Now I have a file server role configured and I created a shared folder in there. I am adding the package from that shared folder. I set the permissions on that folder and I also tried creating a folder manually and setting share permisions and adding a package from that folder however I still get the same error message. Any clues as to why this is happening? Thanks
When you add the software policy, make sure you go through the network path and not the local path to the .msi file you want to use. Otherwise it doesn't work.

e.g.
\\server\installs\pr0g\data.msi
not
d:\installs\pr0g\data.msi

Back