Couple noob cooling questions..

Chix4mat

Gawd
Joined
Aug 31, 2003
Messages
793
I realize the answers are here somewhere, but I can't pick them out directly. I have a few questions, since I would love to add more cooling to my desktop.

Even while my computer is idle, the CPU hovers at around 62º, and while playing a game [Mainly City of Heroes lately], it can go up to 70º - 72º easy. My computer is completely clean of dust, and has plenty of air to breathe, so I don't get it. Not currently overclocked either, the CPU or Videocard.

Can I maybe get some recommendations on a couple ways to cool my computer better? Would getting a new Heatsink make a big difference? I am just using a stock one that came with the CPU. I would also like to mod another fan to the inside of the computer, so it will help blow more air out the back. Any tips on what fan I should buy for this?

Thanks a tonne for the help, I appreciate it.

</noob>
 
You never said what cpu you have. In any case, your temps does seem on the high side. However, you have to find out if they are the surface or diode temps. If its the latter, then they are high, but not excessively and nothing to worry about. If on the other hand its the surface temp, maybe you need to check the HSF is seated properly with thermal paste properly applied. If yes,then maybe its time to get a new HSF.
 
Thanks for the help, I should have pointed to my sig.. has all my comp info.

Well, not sure what part it is that's getting high heat, but MBM has alerted me a few times that I have reached 70deg, and gives me the option to shut down the comp.

I will have too look into it further I guess.. just add more fans or something.. better HS couldn't hurt.

Thanks again
 
Back
Top