Couple CentOS ?'s

Ur_Mom

Fully [H]
I have a couple CentOS 5.6 questions. I recently acquired 18 Dell and HP servers (for $50) and had a couple HDD's sitting around. So, I'm setting a couple servers up. I have CentOS installed with the server installation (NO GUI). But, I have a couple questions:

SCRATCH THIS! :) I found the answer. Disabled the Xen from using the serial port using GRUB
. 1. I have the serial ports going to my Cisco router for the server subnet. However, I can't use telnet to connect to the ttyS0 line. I don't have internet access to download minicom (which was recommended). Is there a way I can connect to the serial port and then to the Cisco router (I mention the device on the end due to the 9600 etc. settings) with a default install of CentOS?

2. I have to navigate to the directory to run any commands. With other distros, the OS has assumed what I wrote for a command was in the pwd. How can I make it work like that. Example: Instead of typing ifconfig or find, I have to navigate to the /bin (or whatever) directory, and type ./ifconfig. I haven't had to do it that way since I first tried Linux in the mid 90's (still never got very far with it, either. Still a Windows guy!).

Thanks for the help!

Oh, and pics or shens on the servers:
servers.jpg

Just realized how shitty my Android phone camera is. Sorry about that. :)

Last edited:
Does running /sbin/ifconfig work? If so, more than likely its just a matter of setting up your environment paths.

2. I have to navigate to the directory to run any commands. With other distros, the OS has assumed what I wrote for a command was in the pwd. How can I make it work like that. Example: Instead of typing ifconfig or find, I have to navigate to the /bin (or whatever) directory, and type ./ifconfig. I haven't had to do it that way since I first tried Linux in the mid 90's (still never got very far with it, either. Still a Windows guy!).

These commands are in /sbin. /sbin is not in the $PATH for non-root users. Edit your bashrc to include it and you'll be fine. Alternately, you can /sbin/ifconfig or edit the system-wide /etc/bashrc.

Back