• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Counter-Strike Source

vict0r

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
1,027
sUP , I was wondering how well a 6600gt pci-e would perform on a 3000+ venice ,1 gig ram,36 gb 10K wD hd ...

would css be able to run at everything maxed out ? or would it be the bottleneck ?
 
i mean, if the 6600gt would be the bottleneck,prevent me from maxing things out
 
cs:source is quite easy on the gpu...many people i know use a 6600gt @ 1280by1024 with ful eye candy...if u want 1600x1200 and full eye candy get a 6800gt and oc ur cpu a bit..
hope this helps

Mayhs
 
is there quite a difference between 6600gt stock and 6800 stock on that setup in cs:s , i mean higher everything without a glitch or something ? smooth smooth ?
 
ok...you're not going to play 1280x1024 on CS:S with full eye candy and get a fps that I would considerable advantageous for actually playing the game. I play a 9800 pro with medium quality on 1024x768 with a 3500+ to get no lag...which is sort of important when you play a fps online...
 
I used to play CSS on an AGP 6600GT with 1GB RAM and an athlon XP 2400 (overclocked to 2.2ghz, so comparable to a Venice 3000)

70fps pretty much constantly at 1280x1024 - all details at full - no antialiasing, but 8x AF

Even with antialiasing on, it was playable IMO.
 
meatfestival said:
I used to play CSS on an AGP 6600GT with 1GB RAM and an athlon XP 2400 (overclocked to 2.2ghz, so comparable to a Venice 3000)

70fps pretty much constantly at 1280x1024 - all details at full - no antialiasing, but 8x AF

Even with antialiasing on, it was playable IMO.
Athlon XP OC'ed to 2.2Ghz is in no way comparable to a Venice 3000+. Clock speeds might be similar, but the Venice has an on-die memory controller, which drastically reduces latency, and improves performance quite a bit.
 
... I run aztec just fine... the only place that gives my system a hard time is firefights in the water, which drops my fps to the high 50's and low 60's :p
 
I ran CS just fine with a 9800pro and a 3.4ghz p4 (prescott) so nothing to worry about. Especially because the 6600gt is better and your venice is prolly better than my prescott.
 
Phranq said:
ok...you're not going to play 1280x1024 on CS:S with full eye candy and get a fps that I would considerable advantageous for actually playing the game. I play a 9800 pro with medium quality on 1024x768 with a 3500+ to get no lag...which is sort of important when you play a fps online...

the 6600 gt pretty much spanks the 9800 pro, why try to draw a comparison between them ... ?
 
I agree that 30fps is perfectly fine, in single player mode. When I play online with 30fps my score usually drops pretty fast.
 
Phranq said:
I agree that 30fps is perfectly fine, in single player mode. When I play online with 30fps my score usually drops pretty fast.
this man speaks the truth. when i play any online fps i make sure i'm at 60+ AT LEAST.
 
I believe he was talking about 30 min. the average would be quite higher than that.
 
I'm just saying when your fps drops for a few seconds and you get owned it's going to suck...I guess you can sit there in spec mode and look at the cool textures while you wait for the next round.
 
6600GT 1280x1024 Everything on high, 2xAA 4xAF Runs at a pretty constant 50fps. Very smooth card, I love it.
 
if you want to run HL2 specifically choose a radeon card over nvidia, they're better optimized for d3d vs. openGL.

however if you play other games like doom 3, nvidia offers more bang for the buck as it both does great at OGL and good at d3d.
 
Russ said:
I believe he was talking about 30 min. the average would be quite higher than that.

Yes, the adverage would be around 50-70, only in intensive firefights with alot of people on screen would it drop that low, and actually that isn't that low, I play around that alot of the time and I do well, usually near the top of the leaderboard.
 
You'll be fine with a 6600gt.

I play cs:s with everything maxed (exlcuding aa/af, dont have that enable.. even though I have fps to burn and could probably turn some on) at 1280x1240 .. I've had it for about 2 weeks now and I've been playing alot, not a single hiccup

edit: actually, i just bumped the aa to 4x and af to 8x ran the strest test for cs:s, and got 62.07fps average. .. thats pretty cool.
 
I have a 9800pro flashed to xt (AGP) and I run CSS at 1680X1050 and it run fine at the auto detected settings which is basically no AA and no AF and it runs at 60fps
 
XteriorMotive said:
my cs:s ran fine on my old rig

1.1Ghz Celeron
512MB PC133
Geforce 4 MX4000

Everything Full 800x600

You mean CS 1.6 right?
 
Mayhs said:
cs:source is quite easy on the gpu...many people i know use a 6600gt @ 1280by1024 with ful eye candy...if u want 1600x1200 and full eye candy get a 6800gt and oc ur cpu a bit..
hope this helps

Mayhs

i can say with my setup in the sig i get ~30 to 80 FPS at 1600x1200 high reflect all 4xAA 8xAF
 
XteriorMotive said:
my cs:s ran fine on my old rig

1.1Ghz Celeron
512MB PC133
Geforce 4 MX4000

Everything Full 800x600


it's true.. in directx7 mode....and AA and AF doesn't work in the CS:S control panel either..when in directx7 mode...
 
aZn_plyR said:
it's true.. in directx7 mode....and AA and AF doesn't work in the CS:S control panel either..when in directx7 mode...

lol directx7, haha the man has a point!!!
 
Back
Top