Counter-Strike: Source - Future updated?

IcedEmotion said:
CS players are afraid of change, that's why some still cling to 1.6 like it's their nursing blanket.

No, its just that competitive players dont want their game suddenly changed. Its like playing Quake 3 competitively for a long time, and then suddenly they decide to change how much damage each gun does, or how much ammo you get when you pick up a certain weapon.

It's an unneeded change that just further distances CS:S from the professional leagues.

yeah im guessing all you people who say this change is good are all public players and have never played a competitive match in your life.

IcedEmotion said:
CS players are afraid of change, that's why some still cling to 1.6 like it's their nursing blanket.

No they cling to 1.6 because they don't want to upgrade their Celeron 466 and GF2MX.:D

chrusher97 said:
yeah im guessing all you people who say this change is good are all public players and have never played a competitive match in your life.

Yeah, so let's pander to the tastes of the 5-10% of CS:S players that play in CAL rather than play to the benefits of the majority, eh :rolleyes:

Why the fuck are so many people bitching about this? OMG THEY'RE CHANGING THE PRICES OF GUNS BOYCOTT BOYCOTT

Sure, the fact that they're doing this shows that they're kind of bored and possibly hired an economist without having a specific job in mind for him beforehand, but is this really going to cause you to lose sleep tonight? Really?

finalgt said:
Why the fuck are so many people bitching about this? OMG THEY'RE CHANGING THE PRICES OF GUNS BOYCOTT BOYCOTT

Sure, the fact that they're doing this shows that they're kind of bored and possibly hired an economist without having a specific job in mind for him beforehand, but is this really going to cause you to lose sleep tonight? Really?

Since it updates every week, it could disrupts competitive strategy and gameplay. The buys would be different on save rounds, the deagle will be out of reach on pistol round, and could upset the balance of the CT side because the guns on the CT side are already more expensive than T. With this update and change of economy, it could push the guns even higher in price and causing it to be more difficult for CTs. That was really the big "fuss". But because there is going to be a CVAR to enable/disable, there is no need to worry about it. In competitive CS 1.6/Source, economy management is very important to winning/losing matches and scrims. This would be seen as disrupting it.

Mr. Miyagi said:
Since it updates every week, it could disrupts competitive strategy and gameplay. The buys would be different on save rounds, the deagle will be out of reach on pistol round, and could upset the balance of the CT side because the guns on the CT side are already more expensive than T. With this update and change of economy, it could push the guns even higher in price and causing it to be more difficult for CTs. That was really the big "fuss". But because there is going to be a CVAR to enable/disable, there is no need to worry about it. In competitive CS 1.6/Source, economy management is very important to winning/losing matches and scrims. This would be seen as disrupting it.

QFT

Plus I can only see the price of Kevlar in a month :rolleyes:

well I think the prices might even out every second week. If the price of Kevlar gets up to $1500 people might not buy it anymore and then it should have dropped down to maybe below $1000. Same with the AWP if it gets really cheap and people start buying a lot of them then the next week it should have increased in price and people will buy less.

In theory that is how it could work.

But then you have to factor in servers that start with $16000, have bots running 24/7 and other mods. It will be interesting how this will be played out...

Michael.R said:
well I think the prices might even out every second week. If the price of Kevlar gets up to $1500 people might not buy it anymore and then it should have dropped down to maybe below $1000. Same with the AWP if it gets really cheap and people start buying a lot of them then the next week it should have increased in price and people will buy less.

In theory that is how it could work.

I think there will be a transition period of indeterminable length followed by fairly consistent prices, just like in the real world.

This is a great idea.

I think valve is doing a great job updating the new purchasing system for weapons. It will make it more interesting obtaining a 9 grand AWP from someone who died and then trying to stay alive long enough to keep the weapon to make it even more interesting.
LOL

UnrealCpu said:
I think valve is doing a great job updating the new purchasing system for weapons. It will make it more interesting obtaining a 9 grand AWP from someone who died and then trying to stay alive long enough to keep the weapon to make it even more interesting.
LOL
yeah baby! don't forget to knife that buggar and spray his (_x_)

I don't mind, this means all my favorite weapons, like the p90, p228, pump shotty etc are all going to lower in price. Get over it pansies, all you gotta do is kill people to afford guns. Hasn't it always been like that? :p

UnrealCpu said:
LOL

If it ever goes that high. ;) I don't see why there isn't love for the AWP. :(

Good. Maybe some gamers will realize there are other online FPS games besides CS and will perhaps go and try some of them now... however, you gotta upgrade your mom's computer first. ;)

hehe, it doesn't take much of a computer to run source either, but I did assume these changes effected cs:s as well as cs1.6... my bad.

de_dust0000.jpg

de_dust0003.jpg

;)

you know it! (I think that screenshot was on a geforce 2 gts.. lol. The first one was on my 6800xt) :p

Anyhow,
5.2b > Any other version of CS.

merlin704 said:
No they cling to 1.6 because they don't want to upgrade their Celeron 466 and GF2MX.:D

Oh? Is that why Starcraft still has a HUGE community? I think not.

The thing I love most about source though is we dont have the 1.6 community who complains about the smallest change. While im still not so sure im going to like this update, I do appreciate the fact that wtih source Valve is for the most part improving the game and making changes that would never happen in 1.6

yeah I don't get why people think 1.6 is better than source...

I don't think you can compare it to Starcraft either. People still play Starcraft because there is no game with that type of gameplay, or they're Korean. If SC2 was released, you could ask why do people still play SC... but then again it would be going from 2D to 3D so the gameplay might change a lot.

And with 1.6, the gameplay and even the levels are very similar to Source (I know they're not the same). Better graphics, physics, better >>> FLASHLIGHT!!!! <<< and the grenades don't float!
The only thing that sucks is that Source does not have that Riot Shield. That thing was awesome :p

I feel (and a lot of others do as well) that the gameplay in 1.6 is better than Source. There is quick-scope with the AWP, spamable walls, easy to run on any computer, has a set pattern for spraying (In Source, it changes every time you spray) and feels faster. 1.6 however has been out for much longer than Source. Overtime, Source will become as mature once everything is fixed/added. Tust me, I love playing Source, but right now, it's not on the same level as 1.6 competitively.

There is no quick scope in 1.6, there is a delay. When steam was released the recoil patterns became completely random (in 1.5 there was a defined recoil pattern). The reason it feels faster is because of the walk speed. The netcode in source is bad online and on LAN because they use the wrong settings... Does interpolate and lagcomperrorcheck need to be on when everyone is pinging 5? There supposedly will be a CVAR to turn this on and off which will save the competitve community but it certainly won't improve upon it. Source needs the netcode redone, player models scaled down, walk speed increased and imho spammable walls to a certain extent coupled with redone maps (inferno, etc, and it needs to be done by valve not random mappers).

It cracks me up that people are complaining about this change, "OMGZ0rs!!111, the prices of *insert weapon here* are going to shoot through the roof! This will completely unbalance and change the game!"

No it won't. Prices will stabilize at the amount that the entire free market is willing to pay for them. If you don't think this works, then real world economics is apparently false as well.

As for the people complaining about how this will affect their "uber pro" competitive play, as pointed out earlier, there's a cvar for this. That, and the rest of the pub population really doesn't care about you ;) Some people just don't have the time to devote to CAL play, and want some fun for 30 minutes at a time.

~GoaT~ said:
There is no quick scope in 1.6, there is a delay. When steam was released the recoil patterns became completely random (in 1.5 there was a defined recoil pattern). The reason it feels faster is because of the walk speed. The netcode in source is bad online and on LAN because they use the wrong settings... Does interpolate and lagcomperrorcheck need to be on when everyone is pinging 5? There supposedly will be a CVAR to turn this on and off which will save the competitve community but it certainly won't improve upon it. Source needs the netcode redone, player models scaled down, walk speed increased and imho spammable walls to a certain extent coupled with redone maps (inferno, etc, and it needs to be done by valve not random mappers).

You can quick scope once, but there is a delay after one shot. In Source, they removed quick scope by removing the accuracy when not in zoom. The reason why Source's netcode is bad is because it's made for people with higher pings, like 70-100 while 1.6 is intended for lower 10-30.

There is a delay that you have to have your awp out a certain amount of time before you can scope. If you don't believe me try to pick up an awp with _cl_autowepswitch 1and pound the shit out of attack2, you will not be able to instantly scope. In source the awp has a higher rof if you get the timing down it take to for the scope to be fully zoomed in. 1.6's netcode was made for 100 ping as well, hence interp being default to .1. If source was played on LAN with the settings that I described the hitboxes would be perfect but its not played that way making it a flaw.
As for the person saying that any change to the pricing will not completely change the game, you are wrong. For someone that knows the game inside and out as I do a change in prices can not only throw off your buying patterns but prediciting the oppositions buying. I can almost 100% tell you how much every member of an opposing team has within $400 knowing what they bought and how much money they have been recieving. The "deaco" could have been taken out of the game completely. Half buys would be far less effective, etc. Changing the prices changes the whole game.
I have been playing CS for 7 years and thinking of what the change COULD have done has a CVAR not been promised I can honestly say that CS would have died. What most people that don't play competitively don't understand is that our community (competitive) is what keeps games alive. Do you think that the q3 community would still be around if people weren't dueling it for the past century? There have been many mods for q3 that came about soley because of the competitive community that have "fixed" the game not only for pubbing but also dueling. The same can be said for q4. One must also ask themselves why is CoD2 still around, and why did CoD stay around as long as it did. There is only one answer for that: the competitive community. Think about games that shouldn't have even been played but were because of the competitive community: painkiller, america's army, etc.

I understand that there is a delay after you shoot once, like you said, but what I was saying is, if you already have your AWP out, you can quickly zoom and shoot accurately. In Source, you can not perform this because they decreased the accuracy when not in zoom (unlike 1.6 that still maintains most if not all accuracy). But yes, after you do shoot it once, it does take time to get back into the scope, hense the delay. Sorry if I'm not being clear what I mean by "quick-scope". I thought the definition of quick scope was quickly looking into scope (while already having the AWP out, after the delay from switching or shooting) and shooting with the same accuracy as already being in the scope and shooting.

Back