Countdown to IDF!

I think two major things will be:
1. Haswell
2. The new media partnership or something about its own media content service that Intel has been cooking up lately

That, and probably the new Atoms will showcased.

21 hours...

Bring on the Haswell-E news!!! (Hey, I can dream.)

Apparantly Haswell is already shipping. I'd wait until July/Aug tho.

Apparantly Haswell is already shipping. I'd wait until July/Aug tho.

Oh I'm talking about the high end E version. There are conflicting rumors between IB-E and Haswell-E releasing late this year. I'm hoping for Haswell myself...

What's 2 more months right...I just want to see the overclock numbers which probably won't be revealed today...

Probably not.

We should be taking bets over whether the IHS is soldered or uses crappy TIM :mad:

10 hours...

Well there were problems with heatsink sittings on Ivy bridge, for this reason they used TIM. Haswell should be slightly tinnier thus there should be problems as well.

This is going to be one big event talking about battery life, integrated graphics and cloud computing.

10 bucks on it.

Damn, that is a massive die. I think Anand have it wrong: the big die is the DRAM, the smaller one the CPU. A 3770k's die is about the same size as the right-most chip.

No, the 3770k is over 2x bigger than that eDRAM die: 170mm^2 vs 80mm^2 (estimated by measuring pixels). The Haswell die is around 90mm^2 bigger than IB (estimated @ 260mm^2), which makes some sense from the much bigger GPU (40EU) and more complex CPU cores (wider execution engine, AVX2, other new features)..

From the article:

This will be the beginning of Intel's socketed/soldered strategy on the desktop, which as of now is set to work sort of like tick tock - with the first chips on any new process being sold exclusively in BGA packages. Haswell will have socketed desktop SKUs, Broadwell won't, Skylake will, etc...

From the article:
Except for the exceptions, like the R version of Haswell w/GT3e graphics (BGA only, old process) and "enthusiast" chips (which Intel calls the unlocked K models on mainstream sockets) that Intel just reiterated it will continue making socketed CPUs for "the forseeable future". LGA1150/Lynx Point is also Broadwell compatible, according to Intel. ;)

I doubt it will be as simple as Anand states. Large OEMs with JIT manufacturing rely on flexibility, and with some manufacturers using a dozen or more CPU models on a couple of desktop motherboard platforms, it's unlikely that what Anand wrote is an absolute. If nothing else, there would be socketed "OEM only" CPU models.

The same goes for mobile platforms, especially in the volume lines.

No doubt that Intel is signaling that it wishes to move mainstream platforms into BGA. The positive is that with lower TDP models, smaller form factors are possible, and a lack of a socket isn't much of a drawback in most of those cases. The negative is likely fewer Intel choices for channel/individual DIY buyers.

It also makes sense for Intel not to make a LGA1150 socket GT3e Haswell model because the extra chip on package would unnecessarily complicate the design of the desktop socket (due to how power distribution/stability would be different). It would be a niche product anyways, and Apple wouldn't mind a BGA only product (oh, I mean the hoards of manufacturers using mobile chips in desktops). :p

and i just bought a z68 msi board thats $10 after rebate....damnit :(

should i just go ahead n build or sell and wait for haswell?

and i just bought a z68 msi board thats $10 after rebate....damnit :(

should i just go ahead n build or sell and wait for haswell?

Well, if going by the preliminary benchmarks of the i7-4770K, would you be content with a minor performance upgrade over Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge of 5% to 10%-ish?

The only other reason I can think of going to Haswell from IVB/SB is the power consumption/regulation improvements. The TSX instructions wouldn't be worth it at the moment for consumers since programs will have to be recompiled to use it.

Howvever, if you're on SB or IVB, I'd say just stick to the platform. Majority of the software and games out there and those released in the next few years will still work just as well as they do on Haswell. I think the next big upgrade would be Skylake in about two to three years given that will bring DDR4 memory to normal, non-enthusiast/high-end consumers.

Last edited:
yea not worried about ddr4 since thats probably delayed for ivy-e, problem is i want performance with minimal power :(

I couldn't wait any longer and just bought an i7 3770K and called it a year.

Back