Couldn't leave it alone

DF454

[H]ard DCOTM X3
Joined
Apr 25, 2001
Messages
883
Back at the beginning of March I purchased a Dell 530 W/Q6600 in one of their cheap sales.
I finally got around to doing the pad mod and bumped it up from 2.4 to 3.0 two nights ago. Everything was fine but the temps were a little high.
So I thought it's not summer yet, so the air temps will only go up, time for a better heatsink.
Tonight I installed a A/C Freezer 7 Pro.

I do not know what I did, but I killed the second memory channel. When I booted back up after the heatsink swap, all I had was 4 beeps.
Dell's website said memory read/write error, so I reseated the 2 512mb sticks.
That's when I found out only the first channel was working.

So now I have both sticks in the first channel, and the system is back up and folding.
I new I was in trouble when I tried to get the stock backing plate off and found they used very good double sided adhesive to hold the backing plate to the M/B. :eek:


 
Make sure your HSF is making good contact. This happened to me on my P5K when my TRUE was a bit crooked. Once I fixed that issue, I got all memory slots back.
 
Reseated everything, still no go on the second channel. Also lost one of 4 front USB ports :confused:

It's folding for now, so I'm go leave it alone and hope for the best.
If that M/B does fully die, then I will replace it with a M/B with OC friendly features.
Until then I need to save up some cash.






 
Reseated everything, still no go on the second channel. Also lost one of 4 front USB ports :confused:

It's folding for now, so I'm go leave it alone and hope for the best.
If that M/B does fully die, then I will replace it with a M/B with OC friendly features.
Until then I need to save up some cash.







Just be aware that you'll have to mod the case on that 530 for a new motherboard. It doesn't have an I/O sheild. Dell just punched out holes for the ports instead of cutting an actual I/O shield hole.
 
Back
Top