Could use some knowledge....

hi everybody. my recent planing to upgrade my CPU was blown to shit, thanks to my parents, ofcourse.:(
so i decided to upgrade my current bucket. but then i was pulled to hold by not knowing what's the "strongest" Intel's proc. from sck. 478 and what's "strongest" graphic for PCI graph. interface?

The best CPU for S478 is going to be a Northwood core P4 3.2Ghz with Hyperthreading. The second part of your question, I am not sure that I am understanding correctly. Are you asking what is the best PCI Express video card out there? I may have guessed incorrectly on that interpretation or your question:

"what's "strongest" graphic for PCI graph. interface?"

If that is indeed what you're asking, you'd be looking for the 8800GTX 768MB PCI Express series of cards. There's many variants, and many manufacturers. Here's a link to the ones currently available on newegg. They're not cheap, and I'd guess you'd need a better power supply than the one that's in your S478 rig, but I could be wrong. I'd suggest a MINIMUM of 500w, and you'll need dual PCI Express 6-pin power connections to power it (or 4x 4-ping molex connections on PCI Express adapters). Here's that 8800GTX series link for newegg cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...40000048&Description=8800gtx&name=Video+Cards

I don't think there are PCI-E with s478 board so it mean vanilla PCI. However, I'd assume there is also a AGP port in it unless it's a OEM box like a Dell without any expansion possibilities.

depends on if your socket 478 can support 800FSB processors or not.

IF its an older PC with only 533 FSB support, then you're limited to a 3.06Ghz P4 with HT.

IF it supports 800FSB, then you could get a 3.2 or 3.4Ghz, or even a 3.2EE or 3.4EE as they're dirt cheap now.

If your motherboard supports 800FSB your options are going to be much better & cheaper. The 533FSB parts are a little bit more rare & carry a little price premium b/c of it.

Graphics I guess you're talking about a crappy PCI slot (not PCIe).

I think the best you can get for a PCI slot might be something like a 6200

If you don't have at least an AGP port, then it's really time for a complete upgrade: new CPU, motherboard, video card, memory, etc.

An old PCI graphics card just isn't going to be enough for new games, it's really only good for adding monitors for plain old 2d applications.

Man, if you don't have AGP, upgrade for the love of god. Last time I used PCI for a video solution was probably with my Voodoo3-2000 and that was back in the 20th century.

If you do, the X1950 Pro will probably be the best video card option, it's top-end for AGP.

Back