Could this be the HT bug?

dgingeri

2[H]4U
I just had an incident with a Xeon E3 v5 system that I think could be the HT bug we've heard about. The system: basic Windows 2012r2 standard install on a 250GB SSD, drivers for Intel i350 networking, and nothing else. The roles installed were IIS and .Net 4.0 Framework, with the .Net 1.1 framework also installed separately for certain legacy pages.

First off, I had 3 web pages that suddenly quit serving out after a minor update. I found, after some troubleshooting, that the .Net 1.1 handlers were disabled, so it couldn't serve out the page. I also found that I could not enable the handlers because some of the files were missing.

So, I decided to uninstall and reinstall the .Net 1.1 framework to get it working again. Not only did it not work, it damaged the .Net 4.0 framework files in the process and rendered the other pages on the server useless. (Good thing I had a redundant server.) Upon removing the .Net 4.0 feature to reinstall to fix it, the Windows MSI service somehow managed to remove or damage several vital system files, including explorer.exe and powershell.exe. All it could do was networking, remote desktop, and the command prompt. I had to blow away the whole machine and start over.

I have never seen anything like this in 20 years of professional experience with Windows or 28 years of overall experience with computers. I have seen some pretty crazy stuff, but nothing nearly this bad.

What's your opinion? Could this be the HT bug, or something else? I'm thinking the HT bug damaged the MFT. I'm disabling HT on the remaining machines to reduce the chances that this could happen again.

HT bug would cash random system crashes, not completely corrupt IIS/.net installations. Ive seen stuff that that a few times before, generally a wipe and full install is the best solution.

Back