Could this be a scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dew itt right

2[H]4U
I listed a 780i board on the Akron/Canton (Ohio) section of craigslist (and HERE as well) and got an email from somebody interested in it. I emailed them more info and got this email back...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Brian,
I like and want to buy the motherboard but i am not present to see it cos am on a national duty in the middle east and its an item am shipping to my younger sister who works with Red Cross in west Africa. I dont mind including an extra $100 for shipping in the payment due to its urgency. I will pay you through paypal, pls get back to me as soon as you can or sum the total money and send a Money Request if you have one to my paypal ID > [email protected]

Evelyn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...I checked the Paypal account and it was just created on June 3rd and is (of course) unverified. I asked for an exact shipping address first so I can get shipping prices.

If I send the request, they actually send the money, and the payment clears - am I in the clear to send the package or could I still be dooped after that point somehow? I typically don't mind international shipping but too often if it sounds too good to be true - it is. Any suggestions?

Ill tell u now.

It seems like a scam 100%, but it could just be a guy who is deployed.

If you send the request and they send the money. You can withdraw ALL funds in your paypal acct and untie all Creditcards/Banks and then ship. If he tries to reclaim the money, they'll freeze your paypal acct but you won't lose anything, (other then the acct).

Up to you.

From the looks of that grammar and the fact he's trying to do that "I'm in a foreign country" bullshit and even ties Africa into it, it looks like a scam 120%.

legendz explained it well.

No way in hell I would do it......nobody and I mean nobody offers an extra $100.00 for shipping...
Unless that is, they plan on doing a chargeback or are going to pay with an unauthorized credit card.

Guys, this board is supposed to be for things going on at hardforum. If you want to discuss other stuff, check out our off topic section:

http://www.hardforum.com/announcement.php?f=75&a=50

That said, why take a chance when there are others easier to deal with? Claiming to be a soldier so he can draw on your sympathies, and throwing in the extra $100 to play on your greed pretty much seals the deal that it's a scammer. If you were uneasy enough about it to post a thread here, you obviously know on some level that it's too good to be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back