• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Could this be a bad hard drive?

tiuk

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 1, 2006
Messages
99
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Disk
Event Category: None
Event ID: 51
Date: 11/30/2006
Time: 7:10:55 PM
User: N/A
Computer: THE-PUNISHER
Description:
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 03 00 68 00 01 00 b6 00 ..h...¶.
0008: 00 00 00 00 33 00 04 80 ....3..€
0010: 2d 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 -.......
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 0e bd 64 0c 00 00 00 ..½d....
0028: 2b 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 +.......
0030: ff ff ff ff 03 00 00 00 ÿÿÿÿ....
0038: 40 00 00 84 02 00 00 00 @..„....
0040: 00 20 0a 12 40 03 20 40 . ..@. @
0048: 00 00 00 00 14 00 00 00 ........
0050: 00 00 16 00 a0 e6 11 86 .... æ.†
0058: 00 00 00 00 98 12 11 86 ....˜..†
0060: 02 00 00 00 87 5e 32 06 ....‡^2.
0068: 28 00 06 32 5e 87 00 01 (..2^‡..
0070: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0078: f0 00 0b 00 00 00 00 0b ð.......
0080: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0088: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Sometimes my system boots up very fast. Most of the time, however, it takes several minutes. I'm running XP Pro SP2. I've noticed that when it takes a long time to boot up I have several (~20) events like the one above in the event viewer. Now, drive "D:" is my optical drive (DVD+-RW), but hard disk 1 is my boot drive (Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3160812AS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s). Is this likely to be a software thing, or a problem with the hard drive? If it's the later, should I just try and RMA the drive? If I do replace the drive, can I image everything over to a new drive so I don't have to format, or am I stuck?

I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

[edit]Forgot to mention, I've defragged and ran chkdsk. Also, the mobo doesn't report any SMART errors.
 
You don't have another drive attached? I thought Harddisk0 was the boot drive?
 
I have two other drives attached. Drive 0 is a 120 GB PATA, and drive 2 is a 320 GB SATA. I had the PATA drive attached when I first installed XP, and the installer called it drive C: and made my 160 GB SATA drive F:. This is mildly annoying when installing some programs, but I've learned to live with it, and it doesn't seem to be causing problems.

I've just noticed that my two SATA drives are connected to the same controller. Might that have something to do with it? Or would putting them on separate controllers have any performance advantage?
 
the problem could be the mixup you have there.. your boot drive is your D but you had already installed once on the other drive which is still using C. It would have been best to remove the 120GB HD or format it as an non-bootable drive and use the 160GB as the primary boot drive (label it as C).

Try disconnecting the all of the other HD's that you have except the current boot drive (160GB) and see if the errors go away. Make sure you don't have anything on the other two drives that the OS or Installed Programs are dependent on. Add one drive at a time to see which one gives the errors.

I wouldn't worry about separating the drives on to separate controllers.. the drives won't run faster.
 
Just a followup, I tried booting with just the 160 GB OS drive, and had a quick startup with no errors. I connected my 320 GB drive and had the same experience. I'd already moved everything over from the old 120 GB IDE drive, so I guess I'll just leave it disconnected. I'll post back if the errors start popping up again.
 
Back
Top